Wasps around the pool

AnOther

'er indoors tells me that wasps seem to have taken quite a shine to our new Intex above ground salt water pool to the extent that she was unable to use it this afternon due to the number of them who had settled on the liner, on a couple of those the expanded foam floatation thingies and also on the ladder.

She can't see a nest anywhere nearby but we are surrounded by woods on 3 sides so there could be one virtually anywhere but any ideas why they should be so attracted to it in the first place and how to discourage them, could it be to do with the condition of the water ?

We only installed it a week ago and so far we only have the supplied test strips to check it. I know these are rudimentary but all the same the water seems OK according to them.

We use an anti-wasp spray available from Mr Brico and Castorama and probably other bricos (different brands but the same thing).  You spray it on the exposed parts of the pool (on an intex pool spray it on the top tubes all the way around the pool or if it is inflatable I guess just on the top of the pool).  Seems to have worked a treat, since before this year, we have had a terrible problem with wasps, but this year it has kept them at bay. It does not kill them just repells them.

You could also try putting another water source in your garden, a muddy pool is supposed to be best, as they prefer this.  I must say this did not work at all for me, we just had wasps in 2 places in the garden.

• 5 weeks later...
Sorry to resurrect an oldish thread.

We've been getting loads of wasps around the piscine - not aggressive (just after the water), but a nuisance.

We bought a 'waspinator' (looks like a wasps nest and you hang it up - supposed to scare em off).

Does it work? In a word, no. Completely useless. These provencale wasps are obviously scared of nothing.

Back to waving the arms around and swearing a lot.