Chlorine Lock

Yesterday I had 1.5ppm of free chlorine in my pool.  After cleaning I checked again today and have 0.  I have shocked the pool with 10 the regular dose of chlorine shock, but still have a reading of 0 from my Tru Test meter and also some bayroll strips I have.  Does chlorine go out of date?  The shock is 2 years old.  Any advice welcomed.

Had the same thing a couple of years back and the only way to get the chlorine back working is to dump a large part of your water to get the stabiliser level down. A bit of a pig but it happens. Mine was right at the start of the season and trying to get the pool clear and was just dumping in 'Shock' and it was not doing anything strange I thought but thats what it was.

More information is required regarding your chemical balance before jumping to conclusions. Suggest you buy some test strips like aqua check 6 or 7.

What is your regular dose of shock?

What size is the pool?

What type of filter?

Salt generated chlorine or direct dosing, tabs etc.

If you are concerned with your shock add a tab or two to a bucket of clean fresh water and measure the chlorine level.

[quote user="Sharkster"]Yesterday I had 1.5ppm of free chlorine in my pool.  After cleaning I checked again today and have 0.  I have shocked the pool with 10 the regular dose of chlorine shock, but still have a reading of 0 from my Tru Test meter and also some bayroll strips I have.  Does chlorine go out of date?  The shock is 2 years old.  Any advice welcomed.
[/quote]

Its also possible that you test strips are out of date.

Those with the reagent in a little pad are notorious for giving an unreliable reading if their more than one year old. Problem is when you buy it from the shop you do not know how long its been there. I prefer the hermetically sealed tablet dose and photometric analysis, as i think it’s more reliable.

I concur with Teapots synopsis, please provide the background info as you problem could stem from a number of sources.

Andrew

What is your regular dose of shock?

90 grams if hyperu choc

What size is the pool?

10m cubed above ground pool

What type of filter?

sand filter filled with zeolite

Use week long chlorine tabs

I have a tru test meter (bought new strips for it on Monday) and also have some manual bayroll strips. both giving a reading of 0.  Put in another 600 grams of shock last night and had a reading for chlorine just after but 0 again this morning (left the pool filtering all night)

600 grams is a lot of shock for a 10m3 pool you should have ended with chlorine +10.

Have you any test strips for the Cyanuric acid, PH, TA, TDS, Total chlorine?

If you have an unusally high chlorine demand it can be an underlying bacterial or algae problem but with the amount of shock you have used I believe we can rule that out.

Please test the water and report back.

Just taken a bottle of water to my local pool shop, so should have it computer tested by this afternoon.  The pool water is very clear, so I am wondering if the chlorine I am using has too high level of stabilizer in it for my type of pool

Just checked what I can with my strips and my TA is down to 70 and PH 6.6 (I have put a lot of shock in so a lot of acid is in the shock).  Do I need to get these levels up straight away?

Definitely adjust your PH or ladders will start corroding etc, the TA may come back up as a result.

Using multi tabs is ok but yes you MUST keep an eye on cyanuric and other factors.

When you use the multi tabs and the cyanuric acid level reaches 50ppm or so change to Chlorine Lent unstabilised as you already have sufficient and it does not leave the pool very easily. It will reduce with evaporation and backwashing but only slightly.

Also as Poolguy will tell you multi action tabs have clarifyer (floc) in them and Zeolites dont like or need clarifyer.

Awaiting your post on the chemical levels but off to work now.

Spoke to the pool shop.  They tested the water for PH - 6.66, Free Chlorine 0.05 and Stabiliser - over 75 (there meter cut off at 75).  His advice was a partial drain and refill.  Just bought some calcium hypoclorite shock for after the drain but was wondering if you could get pucks with this too, since I think my pool has plenty of stabiliser in it!

Pool check strips go right up to 300 mg/l so we will never know just how high it was.

No option but a partial drain and refill, did you buy any cyanuric test strips?

If so try half a bucket of pool water and the other half fresh water and the test the cyanuric level at least that would give you a clue as to how much to dilute by, pool shop could have done that for you.

Chlorine lent pucks are what you will need (no stabiliser)

Bon courage!

I did not buy any strips but I did notice he sold the Aquachek strips that test for stabiliser, so I may pop back tomorrow.  I have chlorine lent (not multifunction) pucks at the moment from hyperu but they have stabilizer in.  The only ones I have seen are the bayroll pucks all others seems to have cynauric acid or another chemical I have not heard of begining with S.  I take it I am looking for calcium hypochlorite when I buy pucks right?

Sorry sharkster, you may have more information than me on a particular brand, I guess you will have to look round. Either calcium hypo or sodium hypo.

You can use 9.6% javel from the brico's probably around 250ml required for your pool but you will have to test more frequently for the PH and Chlorine.

Hi Sharkster remember the first message you had about partial dumping of the water to get the stabiliser down, Well that was myself no expert but bang on the nail with my information. I will try and give my advise to others that are after advise when an expert is not needed and hope that others don't try and shoot me down in flames when I am correct.

By the way, having checked the Bayrol website, it seems they do not do a stabiliser free chlor lent product.  Anybody know of such a product, since I want to steer away from stabiliser for the rest of the season (I have some chlor chock granules which are stabiliser free but really looking for the pucks which last at least a week).

Bayrol are one of the companies I trust least, they even put chlorine in their non chlorine products the rep told me.

Maybe people will begin to understand why Poolguy continues to talk about direct chlorine injection, but he just wants to sell you something.[;-)]

So after 2 partial drains and refills I have my CYA level at 35 (according to the pool shop who used aquachek strips this time).  He said it was perfect and from reading this would seem the case but although chlorine is now staying in the pool, I burned through 5ppm of chlorine yesterday (this was the level after the super chlorination).  My pool is 10 metres cubed and I would like to go back to the stabilized pucks I have been using, since a) I cannot find chlore lent in calcium hyp anywhere locally and b) the chlorine seems to be being burnt off a problem I have never had before. Anyway the tablets I have are 250g so I am using half of one of those a week, so 125g.  The are just chlorine and their makeup is 93% symclosene with 83.7% chlore actif.  How long do you estimate I can use these tablets before the CYA gets above 50 and back to problem levels?

Am I correct in thinking that of the 125g of puck, 50% of it is stabilizer, so 62.5g?

I don't know, lets wait for thebiga to come he's sure to know....................[:D]

5ppm of chlorine is too much to lose in a day, 2ppm would be more resonable.

Can you carry out a test tonight, check the chlorine level when it gets dark leave the pump running all night and the check it again in the morning before sun up at the same point where you took the test previously.

It is always best take the sample of water for testing around 1 ft to 18" under the surface.

The exact chemistry of each tab is known only to the manufacturer but a reasonable guess I would think.

Best to test CYA before adding each tab and then afterwards that way you will have better way of estimating it, I would expect it to raise the CYA level by 3ppm for 125grams of the tablet, lets see.

Shame you can't just add some bleach whilst you are there and rely only on the tabs when you are not.

I had 0 chlorine last night and put in about 100g of calc hypo (150g is the starter dose).  Did not take a reading last night, but this morning at about 8.30am (the pool is covered with a bubble cover) there was 1.9 ppm of chlorine in the pool. Not sure if that helps.  That had reduced to 1.3 ppm by about 11am.

Just been reading your post again.  I always dip the strip directly in the pool up to my elbow (so at a guess 1' -1.5').  Should I be scooping water out to test using a bottle or bucket or something?

if you are using 0.6ppm in three hours then that would be 2.4 in twenty four hours although the sun is not out for twenty four hours so it should be less.

Please carry out the test tonight and then we can see if there is a possible underlying problem we have not found that may require you to shock again.

The dip strips are not terribly accurate I wonder if there is somewhere you can get a more reliable test especially for CYA.

The strips I use are for my TruTest meter, so I get a digital readout of PH, TA and Chlorine.  I got my CYA reading from the local pool shop but he did use acquacheck strips (I have yet to buy anything to check CYA).

Not sure on your maths, 0.6 in 3 hours would work out at 4.8 in 24 hours?