Chlorine Lock

It is odd, since I have been to 1 pool shop, a Mr Bricolage, Castorama, Auchan, HyperU, Carrefour, Intermarche, A garden centre none had any form of unstabilized chlorine except Hyperu and the pool shop who both had granules.  It makes me wonder if using unstabilized chlorine is a mine field and that is why it is less poplular as maintenance chlorine, unless you are using chlorine liquid/javel and a direct dosing system.

I did read one forum, where I guy called Chem Geek (I think he may have posted here, his real name might be Richard) and he recommended using unstabilized chlorine for shocking and stabilized for maintenance.

That would be me, but I would normally recommend using chlorinating liquid or 6% unscented bleach even for regular dosing unless one cannot add chlorine every day or two (unless they have a pool cover in which case they can add it around twice a week).  The automated dosing systems such as what Andrew sells are the most convenient (well, except possibly for a saltwater chlorine generator system).

The only time you'd want to use Trichlor pucks/tabs is if your Cyanuric Acid / stabilizer / conditioner level is too low or you just have to have the convenience of using these tabs since they slowly dissolve (such as on a one-week vacation).  If you use Trichlor as your primary source of chlorine over time, then you'll have to do something to manage the rising Cyanuric Acid / stabilizer / conditioner level since it is only reduced by dilution.  If you don't dilute the water, then one can use an algaecide or phopshate remover (both at extra cost) to prevent algae growth.

Richard

Hey Teapot I never said I knew everything as I don't. But I was perfectly correct with my original answer to Sharkster.

I do not know the answer to the latest question but thought I would post as your 'Cosy' seems to have slid a little...[:D]