automatic chlorine galet dispenser

osie

I have been  using this type of dispenser for a few years, once you get the right setting for your size pool, they work very well and need little or no maintenance other than filling  with more gallets when required.

Baz

The only part I can add is that using gallets all the time will result in high cyanuric acid stabiliser levels (CYA) part way through the season as each gallet will add around 5ppm (depending on manufacturer) so keep an eye on that as an over stabilised pool results in needing to increase the free chlorine level to compensate.  

My view, although not specifically helpful is that this system is NOT automatic.

The reason is that waist feeders do not have a 'brain', that is to say that you can set them to introduce as much chlorine as you like by adjusting the flow, but they cannot decide that themselves. That adjustment feature in itself is at least an improvement on Salt systems, which cannot even do that, but rather only introduce a set amount every hour. The consequences of that are that the pool owner can tend to become a bit lazy about testing the levels assuming that its ‘all taken care off’ - which it certainly isn’t. That is because the demand for chlorine is constantly changing with bather load and heat of the day amongst other things. Hence to function at its best, a regular testing regime should allow a periodic adjustment of the water flow and therefore feed into the pool. It’s clear that that nearly never happens when these devises are installed and the result can be over or under chlorination in addition to the overdosing or Cyanuric acid to which our dear Teapot was referring.

So in of themselves, these devises are an improvement of manual dosing with gallets and a mile ahead of salt electrolysers for pool management ease and accuracy, but they are certainly not a panacea, nether with automatic control nor analysis with which to make informed decisions on sensitisation levels- that still has to be done by the pool manager with a good photometric tester.  Its not that I'm say that they don't work, as Baz has testified that they certainly do work, its just that they do not replace the need for careful monitoring and adjustment of the 4 main chemical dimensions of a well managed pool- Its just a more convenient way to add chlorine.

There are a few systems which can be described as 'Automatic' at least to some degree, but its a clear that they are not even close to same price level.

Good swimming everyone.

Andrew

I agree with the last two posts, and would just emphasis that in simple terms installing a dispenser is an aid, not a substitute for regular pool management.

Do not think that you can fill it up then go away for a week or two without having arranged for someone to check the pool.

Those things only dole out chems.; they can go wrong, they don't fish out dead animals and they don't deal with problems arising from storms or agricultural pollution etc..

There were no major negative comments and I quite agree with all them.  So all in all, it is a good investment.

In reference to the high cyanuric acid.  I am a bit of a novice here but can I not add non-stable galets which will not effect the levels?

[quote user="osie"] can I not add non-stable galets which will not effect the levels?

[/quote]

If only, All sodium hypochlorite galets are stabilsed, (dichlor or trichlor). There are calcium hypochlorate gallets that don't contain stabiliser and are stronger than sodium but generally Cal-hypo turns to mush in the feeders and makes a big mess clogging etc. There are dedicated Cal-hypo feeders and there were lots of them at the trade show this year.

It is the slow disolving cyanuric acid that allows the multi action galets to slowly dissolve compaired to Cal-hypo which disolves slowly because the calcium disolves slowly, the downside is Cal-hypo will add too much calcium and could cause scaling to pool fittings and clog sand filters so will need regular acid additions to reduce the high calcium hardness of the water and or partial water changes

Using ordinary un-scented javel from a Brico shed is cheaper and easier in the long run although a good chemical feeder is required if you are not on site all the time although using multi action gallets in a floating feeder for a few weeks whilst you are away would also do.

cheers for clearing that one up... I know the 5 action galets worked well for the pool last year... and I dont think I am up for the new area of dealing with calcium.

So, I'll stick with that I hope that winterising the pool(removing some of the water) will get rid of high levels of cyanuric acid.

Good luck osie, regularly test the CYA and not with a dip strip. As I said when you are there or somebody is use javel, After 5-8 gallets you will probably have enough CYA to last the season, depending where you are in France. After a whole season the CYA will be around 80-100 ppm so you will need to keep your free chlorine around 9 ppm, if you empty 50% of the water and fill up with fresh you will start the season around 45 ppm so next year you won't be able to use gallets at all. (My first job when I am over next month is to sort out two pools in this situation).

I am testing a new compound this year that protects the chlorine from sunlight and does not impede its performance and does not build up to a high level. I will not be supplying this to anyone until I have tested it personally like everything else I do.

• 2 weeks later...
After re reading the posts I still need a bit of clarification... (no not in the pool.. :-D )

Were all the posts about galets refering to both chlor galets and multi function galets? 

Does it mean that both have equal quantities of CYA?

What would be the difference between them and which are prefered.  Can I mix them up or should I stick to the same product?

Is the conclusion to all the above to be watchful of CYA buildup if using galets but not if using liquid chlorine?

btw: the cholorine dispenser has finally been fitted(not by me) and now waiting to see if it makes my life easier.  Also, in hindsight I think I would have bought a dispenser from a shop and have them fit it, rather than via the net... live and learn.

btw2: I just bought a load of muli function galets(500g) and they are too big for the dispenser(200g) .. ha ha ha

Thanks in advance.

osie

Basically all gallets are multi action apart from shock. There are two main types of gallet, Thrichlor and dichlor. both types contain various mixes according to the manufacturer which may include chlorine, dry acid (to counter the chlorine PH), cyanuric acid, floculent and possibly copper sulphate chelated (to aid the killing of algae)

Trichlor dissolve slower than dichlor and both add cyanuric acid (you need cyanuric acid up to a certain level 30-50ppm depending on where you are, further south needs a bit more.

Yes be watchful of the CYA level.

The amount of CYA is I believe roughly the same but Thrichlor has 3 molecules of chlorine to Dichlor's 2 molecules of chlorine, hence the name.

[quote user="osie"]

btw2: I just bought a load of muli function galets(500g) and they are too big for the dispenser(200g) .. ha ha ha

[/quote]

You weren't the first person to do that, and you won't be the last! You need to check the size of any galets, and learn which makes to buy ... this season, be warned they may change their sizes next year.