winterising pool

bryansmith

last winter was the first one for our above ground pool and I disconnected and stored the pump and sand filter. It was very difficult as the filter is extremely heavy and neither me or MOH is very active. Is it OK to insulate the pump and filter and leave it outside. We are in Lot et Garonne near Villeneuve sur Lot and the winters can be cold (below freezing) but not severe

Thanks in anticipation

I have just packed mine away after draining the water out of the sand filter by the drain plug at the bottom which seemed to take an age to empty but making it much lighter They are a bit heavy yes .

Do you not have a neighbour that would help you lift the sand filter into store for you ?

I know that the Vendee temperature dropped well below zero for a while last winter . I would not want to risk one left outside if it freezes where you are unless it is very well covered and of course drained of every drop of water .

I run my pump and therefore filter [sand type] for one hour a day every day over winter on my salt water pool [10x5]. Was advised to do this by the installer. Never ever had a green pool in 7 years nor a freeze up but I guess the salt helps with that.

• 2 weeks later...
I drain pump and filter and leave them connected without problem and in Haute vienne winteres have been down to -15 centigrade ,

When I used to circulate during winter I did have a pump breakdown due to icing up!

Also remove skimmer nets and baskets and put in plugs to prevent water draining into pipework from pool ,after lowering water level 2-3 inches.

Beforehand degrease the filter etc. and add winterising algicide.

Dno not start this operation until temperature below 10centigrade ,as algae can form and with no circulation running then you will be storing a green pool!

I only remove the pressure guage from the sand filter and keep in the house.