Replacing Desjoyaux Pool Pump

Hi

Does anyone here have any experience of replacing a Desy pump? Our pump got flooded and wont work now. We have been quoted nearly 800 euro for a new one, which seems utterly insane to me. I just wondered if anyone had any experience in replacing one? I understand the system is bad in itself (and sand filters are much better), but we are looking for the least expensive option here at the moment.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum, you dont say where abouts in france you are which is always helpful. I couldn't live with myself if I replaced a Desy pump the system is so poor and inefficient. Now would be the perfect time to review the situation, I may be able to help depending on where you are.

Ellexesse ............

Unless I've misread your post, I'm assuming that you mean an alternative to the €800 cost of replacing the pump rather than the alternative of replacing the system.

We've got a Soliflow system (same thing as a Desjoyaux) and are on the 3rd pump in 10yrs!!  This latest one is 2 yrs old and much more powerful than the other two - when it works, it does the job well enough, but you always have the nagging feeling .............

So, 3wks ago I re-fitted the pump, started it up and off it went ............. for two days.  Then it seized.  I was mortified at the certain cost of €800 and asked some French friends for help.  Three of them came round, stripped it down, took away the offending shaft and bearing, and returned three days later.  All back together again in half an hour and it cost me €17!

If you're able to pinpoint the problem, then the solution may be equally as simple.  I've no idea how competent you are at these things, but if not at all, then taking it to a halfway decent electrician might at least give you a diagnosis.  Friends are better still !! 

Wow Tarbes, that is a long way from me, so that may well put it out of your budget as travelling that far is not often cost effective. The result would pay for itself in electricity saved but it would take longer to re coup that cost. It's a shame as I am looking for a Desy or similar to convert to a low energy solution that functions better with around a 90% saving in electricity.

• 2 years later...
Hi

We've had our pump rebuilt twice and now the bearings are giving up again.

I've decided to buy an alternative pump and rebuild the original one myself as a spare.

The one I've bought is desjoyaux compatible and only cost

just over 300 euros. It's a Vipool solubloc 10 and has a greater flow rate than the original pump and takes less power.

Hope this is a help to those struggling with desi's extortionate prices

Kind of you Plcook, hope it lasts longer, the flow rate maybe higher on the spec but after the awful Desy filtration is added that remains to be seen. The problem is the filtration, if I can call it that, is placed in front of the pump so causing considerable strain and inefficiency on the motor as water would much rather be pushed than pulled. Water behaves like air so to demonstrate what I mean it's like trying to suck out the candles on a birthday cake rather than blow. Same lungs very different result.  Desy try to get round this by employing a more powerful pump than you would need if you were pushing the water.

Your new lower power pump may suffer trying to get some flow to the far end as that where most Desy pools have issues.

Desy and Magiline have fancy how they would like you to believe it works animations on their websites but dirt doesn't form an orderly queue up one side of the pool, around the top and all the way back down to the skimmer. As the return is situated next to the skimmer the water tends to do a shorter circuit leaving little movement at the top end.

The filters are really just strainers, they strain out the bigger stuff, taking out the much finer stuff makes pool ownership easier but you have to work with what you have.

I have those pumps available as I have an account with ViPool so please let me know how you get on as they are a newish product.

I am looking at a new filtration setup at the moment which could, if it works revolutionise Desy and Magiline pools. Early days and many many €1000's of off the working model but there is at least a glimmer of hope on the horizon.