Sarko and early retirement

In Le Figaro today, there is a story that Sarkozy intends to impose a heavy tax on enterprises whose staff retire before the age of 65.

http://www.lefigaro.fr//economie/20070924.FIG000000252_tour_de_vis_sur_les_preretraites_et_l_assurance_maladie.html

The man seems to have strong objections to anybody retiring early, and wants to penalise them - French as well as British - through the health contributions system.  Obviously he cannot penalise the employers of the large numbers of British who have retired to France before state pension age - so this latest story, although it doesn't help the non-actif British, does rather put things into context.

The main thrust appears to seems to be a reduction of the financial incentives which companies have enjoyed  to get rid of people over 50. This in theory will not only benefit the older workers, but also disourage companies planning to make people redundant so as to move production elsewhere.

Even before the lastest changes which affect us, it must have been pretty obvious to anybody who watched the run-up to the election, that this would be near the top of his political agenda.  Although I'm not the type, myself, to just lie down and let things happen without a fight, I must say that these moves re the health care system are hardly much of a shock in terms of what he is attempting to achieve.  The French nation will feel it too, not just a few Brit ex pats.  And if all else fails, at least some of us will have the option to run back home with our tails between our legs!

Sarkozy does not want people to retire early. OK.

I then wonder what he is going to do about the fact that France is the European country with the worst track record of ageism in terms of giving older people employment. If you have a job, you are meant to keep it forever, or presumably, until you are 65 now.

Anyone over 50 (probably even over 45, maybe 40 in some cases!) who has tried to find employment in France will know how hard it is. So hard that once you are 55 and registered as unemployed with ANPE, you are then dispensed from looking for work - they know full well that you don't stand a chance in hell to find any. When I walked into my local ANPE branch to look at ads and talk to someone, I was met with stares and expressions of disbelief, as if I had ventured into a youth club by accident.

How does that square up with "making" people work until retirement? Strange times indeed.

I asked the other day elsewhere in this forum if anyone knows what the position is for French early retirees vis à vis being able to contribute to enter CMU de base.  If it is different from that which some find themselves, subject to clarification from the French government, then it is clearly discrimination contrary to EU law - ( I quoted it somewhere - really am getting lost in this forum, but am much comforted that so many people are doing all they can to help others)  I think my first post was along the lines of:  'if a French early retiree or inactif(ve) can continue to enjoy healthcover, EU migrants must too'.