I am preparing my appeal for entry into the CMU and to enable me to get my facts right I would be grateful if anyone could tell me: prior to the new rules could those who came from countries other than GB affiliate immediately after their three month residency, if so did that include non EU members.  Presumably at that time no one would have checked as to whether or not they had come into the country with health insurance.

Many thanks for the useful website, I have been without computer but will now be making use of some of the text on there.  I have found the English translations a great help in picking out facts to use in my argument.

Not assuming that I will have any success but at least we can continue to draw attention to the inequalities within the rules. 

EU members did not have to prove health insurance.

Non EUers did in order to get a titre de sejour, but once they had gained the right to this (after 3 months, now 6) they could and still can dump their PHI and join the CMU. HUMPH!

Have a look at this

http://www.frenchhealthissues.eu/letters/letter_to-french-health-minister.htm

We have it in French too if you want to lift any of it.

Many thanks for the info.  It is a fact that I am going to add to my appeal letter; that of discrimination against me as I was not allowed the option of joining the CMU after my three month residency period when other nationalities were, and as you now inform me still can.   I am sure that you have already covered all the points that I will be making as an individual, but I have to give it a try. 

Interestingly, I had an e-mail from an American journalist, on just this subject.  Apparently their US readers were petrified that the same thing would happen to them and that they would lose their CMU rights (even worse for them if it happened as they have no E121 protection - nor the five year residency regulation which is a European statute.)  But of course, this would require an actual change to the law, whereas what's happened to us is simply a bizarre interpretation of the "clarification of rights to free movement" (ha, ha) European legislation.  It's also worthy of note for your letter that that same European legislation clearly states that it must not "discriminate on the grounds of nationality."  What the f**** do all the politicians reckon the new rules are doing then, if they only apply to non-French European nationals.  Sadly, in spite of having their noses firmly rubbed in this fact over the past couple of months, nobody who was negotiating "on our behalf" took advantage of this.

Sorry, my irritation is beginning to show!