Cover for Long Term Ill Health

I do  not work, but receive a pension (tax paid in UK) from my previous employer.    I have been paying into CMU since Jan 2005 (having used up my 2 years E106 from Jan 2003), and I believe, will be eligible to qualify as a 'permanent ' French resident on1 Jan 2008.  Since June 2006 I receive 100% cover for a long term condition (RA) - this covers medication etc for this condition only.    However, I have today received a letter from CPAM informing me that I will no  longer be able to benefit from CMU after 31.3.08.   I can appeal this decision, but in light of the recent announcement I thought that I would be covered automatically.   My French language skills are a little lacking, can anyone offer advice as to how I can best resolve  my situation?

Many thanks

K    

[quote user="Kay"]

I do  not work, but receive a pension (tax paid in UK) from my previous employer.    I have been paying into CMU since Jan 2005 (having used up my 2 years E106 from Jan 2003), and I believe, will be eligible to qualify as a 'permanent ' French resident on1 Jan 2008.  Since June 2006 I receive 100% cover for a long term condition (RA) - this covers medication etc for this condition only.    However, I have today received a letter from CPAM informing me that I will no  longer be able to benefit from CMU after 31.3.08.   I can appeal this decision, but in light of the recent announcement I thought that I would be covered automatically.   My French language skills are a little lacking, can anyone offer advice as to how I can best resolve  my situation?

Many thanks

K    

[/quote]Sounds like your CPAM jumped the gun and sent your letter before the new rules came out.  Give them a couple of days to figure out what the new circular means - although the 5 year rule is clearly confirmed - and go back to them.  Take all your tax returns proving your five year's residence and you should be a shoe-in.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for your help.

I actually wrote to CPAM contesting their decision, quoting the statement made by Securite sociale on 14 Dec explaining that the new regulations did not apply to people registered with CMU as of 23 Nov, and also included a bit about the 5-year residency rule.  Today I have received a phone call asking me where I found the information because they were unaware of it, and that I had probably misunderstood it.   I have passed on to Beauvais CPAM the address to the French Securite sociale web site and hope for the best!

Kay

This does not surprise me in the least!  We'll ask the Health Ministry and the UK Ambassador (who has recently written to us in person) what's going on - it's a French Government circular for goodness sake.  It is interesting to know that it's not actually getting round yet.  Thanks for the info'.

I have just had my telephone response, which has upset me greatly!

I have been informed that the 5-year rule does not apply to me as I have had no 'accident of life', therefore 5 years of uninterrupted residence means nothing.   As regards to being affiliated to the CMU at 23 Nov 2007 - that means absolutely nothing and does not give me the right to continue being affiliated.  In short, I have misunderstood everything that has been written regarding this change in the law.

I explained that it would be impossible for me to get insurance to cover a condition that I already have (RA), she did not understand this and has asked that I get a couple of insurance quotes to prove it (to strengthen my case).  The woman who contacted me is being very sympathetic and will put my case forward explaining my position hoping for some jurisprudence  (and 'will pesonally' follow my file and keep me informed of any progress), but doesn't sound too hopeful.

Am I the first person to arrive at this stage?

Kay

Kay, I posted this on another thread; it explains a great deal!

One of our contacts has just been told by the CPAM's English speaking helpline that the circular containing the new rules (14th December) has been received by CPAMs, "but that nothing could now happen until the government published a "Décret d'application".  That is, the guidlines about how to put the already published policies into action.  That document is not yet completed/published and she did not think the government felt any hurry to produce it as those affected are already in the system until the end of March.  She thought the document might be circulated at the end of February."

This goes a long way to explaining why local offices are still refusing to implement them.

Although this may give a little comfort to existing CMU payees, it does nothing for those who are in limbo following the expiry of their E106s at the weekend.  We are following this up.