returning to France: have lost entitlement to CMU

I spent 5 years in France but then had to leave for family reasons and spent 2 years as a carer. Husband got a job and is still working in the UK.

I went into the CPAM who took away my carte vitale but said I can renew my CMU if I go back, but only if I go to the CAF first as am not working (am not well). I am not entitled to the CAF as my husband is working in the UK. Neither organisation could get their heads around someone living in France with a spouse working in the UK, so I just left and came back to the UK.

The CPAM then said if your husband is working, show us proof of his income. It didn't seem fair either for us to have to pay URSSAF 8% of our joint income when my husband does not have any need or entitlement to French health cover.

So assume we would have to get private health insurance when we return to France. We are obviously concerned that one or both of us will develop some illness which is then excluded from private cover.

Can anyone advise on the best insurance; if we are returning to France in 5 years, should we take it out now while we are still ok or is there anyone who has an attitude like the Mutuelles were you can get cover even if you have a pre existing condition?

I've found life is more complicated than the bureaucrats can cope with, so any advice is much appreciated.

Andy is correct, imo, although like all these Eforms it is now called an S1 - dependents of UK residents are entitled to get their cover paid for by the UK, up to the levels a French citizen is entitled to - ie you should still consider top-up insurance. Your o/h can also get healthcare here, either via the S1 if he works in the UK and is resident in France (formerly the workers' E106) or the EHIC if he continues to live in Britain. Get your o/h to chat to the DWP (I'm not quite sure which office you need but somebody like ANOther will know as he is still employed in the UK.)

Once one or other of you reaches UK state retirement age then you will be fine and covered by the UK once again. 

[quote user="cooperlola"]

Andy is correct, imo, although like all these Eforms it is now called an S1 - dependents of UK residents are entitled to get their cover paid for by the UK, up to the levels a French citizen is entitled to - ie you should still consider top-up insurance. Your o/h can also get healthcare here, either via the S1 if he works in the UK and is resident in France (formerly the workers' E106) or the EHIC if he continues to live in Britain. Get your o/h to chat to the DWP (I'm not quite sure which office you need but somebody like ANOther will know as he is still employed in the UK.)

Once one or other of you reaches UK state retirement age then you will be fine and covered by the UK once again. 

[/quote]

thank you! Is top up insurance french or english - not sure how to get this?

I assume the bureaucracy I deal with is the DWP in the UK but what do I show the french? I only have the european health card at present and travel insurance.

thank you, sorry the quote went a bit bonkers

Top-up insurance (sometimes wrongly referred to as a mutuelle), is bought from France although there are some French-based British companies who provide it.

Start with the DWP Longbenton (Newcastle) and if that's the wrong office they will correct you (I have a funny idea rattling around in the back of my mind that those employed in the UK get the S1s for their families via their tax office, but I am not certain of this.)  Their address is on our website (link below).   Once you have established which version of the S1 you are entitled to and have applied for and received one, then you take it along to your local CPAM in France - all the other documents etc which you will need are also outlined on the website.  Your EHIC and travel insurance will suffice as long as you do not live here in France.  Once you take up residence here, you need the S1.

Appologies for the fact that the S1 is still referred to on our website by its old E numbers but as you will gather, our little lobby group is now all but defunct; however, the information about the health system is still pretty much correct (apart from those pesky form numbers!)[:)]

[quote user="cooperlola"]I have a funny idea rattling around in the back of my mind that those employed in the UK get the S1s for their families via their tax office, but I am not certain of this.[/quote]You are right, if still paying UK tax @ NI HMRC deal with E forms. As far as I understand it the only difference between receiving an E109 and E106 is what you put on page 4 of the form.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/ca8454.pdf

[quote user="AnOther"][quote user="cooperlola"]I have a funny idea rattling around in the back of my mind that those employed in the UK get the S1s for their families via their tax office, but I am not certain of this.[/quote]You are right, if still paying UK tax @ NI HMRC deal with E forms. As far as I understand it the only difference between receiving an E109 and E106 is what you put on page 4 of the form.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/ca8454.pdf

[/quote]Thanks, ANO, I thought you would know.[:)]