Residency Whilst Renting

David

If we decide to take a long term rent, say 4 months, whilst looking for a suitable property to purchase are we deemed to be Resident in France?

If we find somewhere, perhaps a New Build, and start the relevant staged payments, will this make a difference? Or would we be deemed Residents only when the Property is completed, fully paid for and when we move in?

We would be returning to the UK to sort out all the financial  matters which would probably take some months and therefore effectively be Resident in the UK until we make the final move.

David

David said, I think, that he would be returning to the UK to sort out financial matters for some months.  That was what swayed me in the direction of my own thinking.  It's a bit of a dodgy one, though!  Have I got this right, o/p?  4 months rental to look for a property, back to your home in the UK (which you will not yet have sold) for a few months to sort yourself out, then to France to your new home.

In trying to determine David's residency status thought needs to be given to the accomodation he has back in the UK. If he still owns property which he has access to ( i e not rented out) then he can quite legitimately claim that as his main residence.

Of course this won't help him with health cover since the EHIC is primarily to cover short term holidays or with re-registering his car to remain legal in France.

As I thought, an uncertain outcome.

I will only be in France for as long as it takes to find and sort out a Property whether New Build or  old Refurbished. Only moving when everything is completed.

Obviously a time scale would be uncertain, especially if we want to find the right type of property ( for she who must be obeyed) but I thought 3 to 4 months would be about right.

I would have sold our property in the UK( to enable funds to be immediately available) but staying in my Holiday  Static Caravan  in the UK for up to 9 months so still paying into the UK economy etc.

Life is never simple is it?

David

Based on those additional facts I personally would not change my residence status until you move into your property.

Many people who post on here, me included, seem to think that we pay less in tax and social charges than we would in the UK so that may be a reason not to wait too long.

Best of luck with your search.