Health coverage in Britain

letrangere

[quote]Does continuing to pay voluntary Class III NHS contributions entitle you to health care in Britain even as an overseas resident? Margaret[/quote]

Hi

Here is a quote from National insurance booklet NI 38 " Voluntary payment of Class 3 NI contributions does not give cover for health care abroad in any circumstances" 

It may not be worth continuing with class 3 contributions once you get to a certain age (assuming fully up to date), particularly 60yrs, as you don't get the last 5 years covered by social security if you live outside UK. There comes a point when it's just not worth £30 a month for an extra few quid on your pension. Get a pension forecast, you'll see what I mean.

Regards,

Bob

[quote]It may not be worth continuing with class 3 contributions once you get to a certain age (assuming fully up to date), particularly 60yrs, as you don't get the last 5 years covered by social security if...[/quote]

Quite right Bob.

I got a penision forecast a couple of years after arriving here and after taking advice and doing all the sums, it was not even worth me paying for the last 20 odd years of stamps. I was advised to invest the amount that was required to pay all back payments due, plus the 20 plus years in advance, in another way.

I will get around 65% of the pension from the UK plus whatever I have earned fron the French system to top it up.

I think that perhaps I have stated this before but it is fairly well known that paying the UK voluntary stamp is seen as the best investment for least money available, providing you pay it from an early start that is!

Sorry, I was on the wrong track.....Les

I know what you mean, many of the horses I back seem to be as well

Miki/Redcap, thanks for bringing up the related subject of whether it's worth paying Class III contributions at all, appreciate this.  We both got pension forecasts a couple of years ago, once Newcastle got around to replying ("everything comes to he who waits").   Economics of continuing the contributions aside, what worries me a little is whether the Government won't move the goal posts as a result of the pensions crisis in the UK and make it more difficult for those of living abroad in retirement (even in the EU) to claim our UK state pension.  We're 53/46, so still some time to go, but it is a concern.  What do others think?  M

Re % pension paid, at 49 (next), according to my forecast, I've got at present about £50 +, of a max £78pw pension, I can't see me paying £30pm for the next 10-15 years, into something that 's not really guaranteed anymore. 

Paying in for 15 yrs @ about £30pm = about £5400 (todays rates) what would the return on that be over 15yrs if invested?

Does anyone know how it will work for my wife, hopefully she will get a job at some stage in the future, that being the case, if she's paying into the French system am I right in saying she should not need to pay class 3 contributions as her contributions in France will cover her?  Or is the other way round, as we will not be returning to UK, once she reaches retirement age in France, will the French pay her pension based on previous contributions in UK and France?

Regards,

Bob

If she gets work Redcap, then she should go and see the CRAM and get them to explain it all to her.

My only other comment is that I only hope that she never worked in the UK on reduced stamp, as that believe me, will mean a vastly reduced pension in France on what she would get if she had paid full stamp and there is no way round this. One needs a full working history and that means paying full stamps and not the act of working itself, to get full pension here and it is on a rapidly descending scale if one has not. It is complicated and the powers that be, will be far better at explaining it to you.

Hi,

Yes, that's what we'll do once we're settled pop along and find out, no mad rush I suppose. She's fluent French speaker having lived many years in France and has some good indications already regarding work, also she's fully up to date re full NI contributions, what I was hoping to find out though, is if she's a French resident at time of pension and has worked and paid etc, is there a choice of who will pay her pension?

Regards,

Bob

I would say both. If she has paid into both systems and keeps up her UK payments. Remember if she is working in France one pays a reduced rate to top up pension contributions. Newcastle will want proof that she is working though.

She will, as I said, need a full working history though, to get the right percentage of the french pension.