E111 obsolete?

Weedon

I read today that a new system will operate to replace the E111 with a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).

As we intend to go to the UK over christmas and did intend to obtain an E111 for our stay does anybody have any very recent experience of asking for an E111 and finding that here in France the health authorities are issuing the EHIC?  Or am I being too optimistic in expecting staff in local offices to be aware of the change.

I was intending to go to my local CPAM this week but do not wish to complicate the matter by asking for  the EHIC instead of the E111 as I expect it will be difficult enough.

I have read the recent discussion advocating that it is best to say we will be going to Spain and was intending to do just that.

Weedon

You havn't needed an E111 to visit the UK for a few years now as long as you take your Carte Vitale and health insurance details with you when going. My nurse friend has one of these new cards with her E111 rights in France included in the chip as she has to visit her very elderly father every few months and can't be doing with getting papers everytime. You will need one for Spain though if you are covered in France. These cards take a while to come through and you won't get one now before xmas I wouldn't have thought.

Weedon,

If you want one of the new cards, then go to CPAM and tell them you need it for Spain or anywhere in Europe apart from the UK.They will simply tell you that you do not need one for the UK otherwise. We have had our cards for a month or two now, about 2 weeks delivery in our case.

Val,

None of our 4 new E111 cards have a chip, nor do our friends who have a new E111, have a chip.

It is a pretty basic card, blank on one side and a 2 tone lavender type colour on the main side and only ones name, D.O.B, Soc Sec number and where it comes from and at the bottom, expiry date and a load of other numbers which I have no idea what they relate to.

What card does your friend have ? I can't see how the UK would know what to do with one of our Carte Vitales or health insurance details, would they have the machinery to read it and what if they didn't understand French anyway !

If you ask for an E111 they will give you the new card instead.....

Val, the rules in the UK are changing and there are some areas which I can best describe as grey now. The Health Service web site isn't clear and I rang them, they only confirmed what the web site said, which is not clear. I then rang Newcastle who gave me different information and said that if we got charged then to send the bill along with the E111 or copy of the new card to them and they would reimburse and they thought that the CPAM would reimburse too........(don't know what to make of that really). 

NB I am only talking about EMERGENCY TREATMENT here. I have no idea as to how existing conditions are being dealt with since the introduction of this card, previously we had to get a different E form to cover this sort of continuing medical care in the UK or any other EU country.

So my suggestion for anyone travelling now is to get a card now, just in case.

Following on from my original post, and thanks for your all your replies, I went to CPAM today and asked for a E111 as we are going to Spain??  and much to my surprise was told that they knew that the E111 was obsolete and that we should receive the new EHIC in about 10 days.

I took the view that should either of us need to involve the UK National Health system while we were there they probably wouldn't know what the Carte Vitale was let alone be able to read it as Miki pointed out.

Weedon