House sitter required in Brittany

solace

A house sitter(s) is required for 1-2 bedroom cottage in rural location in Brittany for approx 6 months - possibly longer, will need to pay household bills only i.e electric, water & phone/internet, pets welcome, would suit house hunters or someone on a long vacation.

[quote user="Chief"]

[quote user="Fumanzoku"]Sounds great, be sure to get a good deposit though.
[/quote]

Would a deposit be appropriate when the owner is effectively asking for someone to do them a favour?.....don't know :-/

[/quote]

It would be mad not to have a large deposit and some sort of legal agreement drawn up. There are all sorts of weird characters out there who often appear extremely nice /trustworthy on the surface, so just take care.

No kidding, and I speak from bitter experience. I have a lawyer and an economist in my house who haven't paid the rent since January. Favour or no favour, if people are in your house, and you want them out at some point, and you don't want your house trashed, do what you can to protect yourself. My experience so far has been 100% negative, I trusted, and have paid and am paying for it.

Yes a security deposit has to be paid and an agreement signed, but I stress to anyone that is interested that this is not a rental nor tenancy arrangement - purely house sitting.

I would be greatful if any of you that have had bad experiences could send me privately any names to avoid.

• 2 weeks later...
There are agencies that supply house sitters - but of course you'd have to pay people to look after your hous rather than get them to pay the bills.  I guess it would be good for someone who had an income and wanted to live cheaply.  I wish I were in that situation and I'd offer!  Sadly still have to work for a living.

• 1 month later...
We have been house sitters for 5 different couples in France over the past 4 years and have yet to pay any deposit. We also don't charge for doing it as we consider it a favour going both ways. We help the owner, they help us see another part of France for free. Good luck and we hope you find someone suitable. If you want any advice, just drop us a message.