childrens vaccines

Katieb

As i understand it, we need to provide proof of my daughter's (4yrs) vaccinations which she had done in the UK. We are due to move to France in the next 2 weeks. I have asked my surgery for this information but they insist that my daughter's "Red Book" (book issued at birth showing height/weight.immunisations etc) is sufficiant. I am concerned that this information is not sufficiant - all it contains is a signature by the administering nurse and the date and name of the vaccine - it doesn't seem "legal enough"?

Does anybody have any suggestions or know from experience if this red book will surfice?

Thanks

Kate

Hi,

We are about to move and have just been through the same thing.

Ask your GP/Surgery for a printout of your child's vaccination record. We've also got the red books but the printout from our GP is much easier to understand.

Also we had to have all the children (ages 9 to 14) vaccinated against TB which is a legal requirement for the French schools. This took several weeks to organise but i guess you should be able to get this done when in France.

tim  

We are American, so don't have a "red book." However, the hand written vaccine record from our Pediatrician was accepted here, no questions asked.

Also, we were told (by neighbors) the TB shot was a requirement here too, but no one actually asked us to have it given. Our daughter, 11 years, has been in the school system 4 years now and has never had the TB shot. Our local doctor said that it isn't totally affective anyway - whatever that means.

I am concerned that this information is not sufficiant - all it contains is a signature by the administering nurse and the date and name of the vaccine - it doesn't seem "legal enough"?

But what could be more legal than the signature of the medical professional who gave the vaccine? OK, you could have forged it, but honestly no one is going to suspect you of that. And anyway, some of our children's vaccines have been done in France and all you get is a signature in their carnet de sante. Official, computerised health records don't exist here so won't be expected (many doctors don't even have computers in their surgeries).

Jo

got a print out from my health visitor but your doctor should also give you one if you request it.  Red book seems fine only alot of the medical people here who don't speak english can't understand what it say's so the english speaking teacher has to translate it.  Our children have also got to have BCG vaccine although we didn't get it done before moving here and they have been in school 6 months before this has been pointed out to me.  Compulsory for all children who are in school here top have it so we will be doing that in the summer hol's.  Where are you moving to?

" Red book seems fine only alot of the medical people here who don't speak english can't understand what it say's so the english speaking teacher has to translate it"

I have written against the English name of the vaccination the French name, and whenever I'm asked for a record of their vaccinations I just photocopy the relevant page, I have never shown anyone the actual book as most of it is completely irrelevant.

had to use my red book for our 4 year old for the 1st time last week, up until then not had to use any of them.  Needed it last week as she had a medical check at school so the teacher asked if i had any type of health book for her.  When i arrived i gave the school the print out of their vaccines and they also asked for the childrens last school report just to try and get an idea of how good their work was in the uk. 

you will be fine with the `red book`,ask your GP to refere your children to the chest clinic at your local hospital for TB jabs, our local hospital in the UK had a drop in style clinic on set days/hours per week...return the week after having the test for the jabs if necessary.

Mrs O

[quote]you will be fine with the `red book`,ask your GP to refere your children to the chest clinic at your local hospital for TB jabs, our local hospital in the UK had a drop in style clinic on set days/hou...[/quote]

No need for a referal to a chest clinic. Just go to a chemist and buy the test (my daughter's is still sitting in my fridge!), get a nurse or GP to administer it, get it looked at between 2 and 4 days later. If Positive then GP will give you a certificate saying so and if negative will give you a prescription for the Jab itself to get from the chemist to be administered by the doc.

In 99% of cases, as long as you have some document which looks as if it might have come from a relevant overseas official department, French officials are happy to accept it (rather than admit that they don't know the exact requirements of whatever French law applies). Better still if it contains rubber stamps and/or signatures.

Of course there's always the other 1% (which the authors of most of the 'How to Live in France' books seem to have experienced) in which you have to get an officially-certified French translation of any foreign-language document.