social secuity payments

Dc

I have registered with CPAM via my wife's E106 and we are both covered until the end of the year. When this runs out I understand we will have to pay into the system as we are below retirement age and not working. Can anyone tell me how much we is will have to pay as our only income is via interest on our savings. I have looked for the tariffs on the internet but cannot find them. Any help/info greatly appreciated.

regards

dc

The costs are on the internet, have a look at http://www.moving-to-france-made-easy.com/french-health-insurance.html

on there it says that the cost is based on annual income thresholds, after tax allowances, as follows:

Single person 6,677 Euros

couple 9,604 Euros

You pay 8% of income over these figures based on your last tax return, which will be for 2004. The tax and health systems are linked.

Before the the present E106 expires apply to Newcastle for a second year ( it may come automatically) on your wifes E106 it should be possible, you will have to do this anyway to get a letter of refusal of an extension to the E106 to give to CPAM after the E-forms expire.

If all (most) of your income is interest on savings, don't forget that you pay 11% "social charges" on interest as well as tax.  We assume that this is on top of the 8% for health paid by the under 60/65's.

We are pensioners so are not involved with the 8% but still have to pay the 11%.

Hereford

[quote]If all (most) of your income is interest on savings, don't forget that you pay 11% "social charges" on interest as well as tax. We assume that this is on top of the 8% for health paid by the under 60...[/quote]

Just to clarify, if all your income is pension or wages, IE EARNED income, you do not pay the 11% Social charge, this is only levied on UNEARNED income like savings interest and is paid with your income tax. 

The 8% health care charge is levied on all income above the relative thresholds and is paid to the Health system through a collection Agency, it is a lump sum and can be paid in two parts, I think, Others who pay it will know for certain

Ron,

I am afraid that is not actually true, social charges are paid, as TU said by the workers in their salary and for people like us, on our annual turnover. And that isn't unearned I can tell you, we earn every penny !!

But I would guess you aimed your post towards retired folks (or semi) who are living off interests and pensions? If they work though, the odds are, it is payable on their earnings

As for URSSAF (in our case) being classed as a collection agency, that will give the folks working there a grin !

Just posted to clarify it though, for those who work here.

Don't know why your reply was addressed to me personally TU, I have no influence with the French Government but I will pass on your concerns

I know we should not keep drawing comparisons with the UK but as a benchmark, people on £4895 PA   in the UK also pay 11% NI, OK they may get a lot of credits and things but that is the figure, is that nasty?  It is the same rate up to £33000PA . 

".....I know we should not keep drawing comparisons with the UK but as a benchmark, people on £4895 PA in the UK also pay 11% NI"

That maybe so Ron, but the difference is, that this French "social tax" is ON TOP of everything else, many of us still have to pay cotisations for health (plus mutuelle on top), pension etc etc etc.

This is not a payment for something you will receive but to go to a "mighty big debt" that most Brits here, would not have a clue about ! Unless they are in receipt of unearned income (and are declaring it !), then they will be unhappy enough to find out !