registering with a doctor

Katieb

We have not yet needed to see a Doctor since we moved here (touching wood right now!!) and wonder if it is necessary for us to register with a particular Doctor before we actually require their services. i understand a new system has just been introduced whereby you now use the same Doctor rather pick and choose each time you need an appointment.

My daughter has come home from ecole maternelle with a form to be completed requiring our Doctor's details - we don't have one yet!

Thank you

Kate

I presume you are registered with the CPAM who sent out the forms for registration earlier this year. In any case,why not visit the local surgery and have words with them as you do not have to stick to one particular doctor,only put one down as a preference for the authorities paperwork,but then again why choose one and go to another if the first one is OK and gets to know you?

As Val suggests, there is nothing to stop you seeing any doctor you wish. The recently-introduced regulation provides for different levels of repayment of charges depending on whether you go to the doctor with whom you are registered (or are referred to by that doctor) or to somebody else. Doctors fees for other than your medicin traitant, and medications etc prescribed by those other doctors are not refunded to the same degree, which could prove costly.

Strictly speaking, you should have chosen your regular doctor before July 2005. But in practice, so as long as you have registered with a doctor before you apply for any refunds you will be OK. Best thing to do is probably to get the medicin traitant form from your local CPAM (most CPAMs have web sites where you can download a copy of the form) and if you feel happy for the doctor you see to become your regular doctor, just get them to sign the forms and send them off immediately. That way, by the time any fees, prescription charges etc reach the system, you will be allocated to that doctor and all should go smoothly.

That letter was one of those typical French affairs.  DON'T make a special trip to the doctor's to get him/her to sign the form, but DO submit it before July.  Well I'm sorry but one French idiosyncracy I have not yet adopted is hypochondria.  Therefore, neither my husband or I have had cause to visit the doctor yet and so have not submitted the form!  I keep meaning to go to the surgery one morning for that specific purpose now that the deadline has passed, but just never seem to find the time to waste an hour or more sitting in his waiting room just to get a form signed.  One of those situations when I wish he had a receptionist that we could leave the form with, so that we don't waste his surgery time.  The least you'd have thought they'd have done was put a box in the waiting room that you could leave your form in with an sae

"rang up my doctor who said it was not a problem at all, just to bring it next time I come" 

and according to CPAM, he will charge you 20 € of which you will get nothing back because you are not  registered with him

Your doctor will not give you your 13€ back.

Coco, Signing the form is not an admission of weakness, its just doing the right thing, do you feel more French bucking he system??  Just what is so hard about signing a form and popping it into the doctor's letterbox?  That is all you had to do, Our GP sent of all the forms for his patients, we did not have to even see him.

well, touching wood doesn't help!!!! since my post a couple of days ago, i suffered a (self inflicted) accident involving my daughter's micro scooter in the lounge at 1am after a bevvy or two!!!!!

Outcome was a trip to the Doctor this morning (who we are not yet registered with) followed by 4 x rays at hospital to discount broken nose and hand. Not sure how payment and costs will be handled as we have only recently applied for our carte vitale (E106) and we don't think we will be able to use the E111 as we are resident here - albeit since 13/7, oh and also - haven't arranged any private top up yet and we thought we needed to be accetped into their system first?

So, learn from my tale - don't drink and drive!!

Kate