So cheap !!

Choochoo

Hi everybody.

Just a little story about the French health system. I am still under the E106 and have a Carte Vitale. I recently had a small accident during renovations (dont we all) and hurt my neck. Being a bit worried about paralysis etc. I made my way to Flers hospital. Seen by a Doctor within 10 minutes and fitted with a neck brace. Had two X rays which were inconclusive and so went for an MRI scan. After the results came out was seen by another two Doctors who eventually pronounced that all was well. I had just torn a ligament or two holding my head up.

Went away with thoughts of receiving a huge bill for my contribution of the costs. Three months later got the bill ....... 18.53 Euros !!. Imagine what that would have been on the NHS.

So cheap, no wonder the staff are not paid very much.

Regards to all, keep safe and dont fall off your towers !!

John

I hope  that you declared this with your insurers. Accidents, and I would always declare accidents, have to be declared within a very strict time limit which if you didn't do it are well past now.

At what point the bill could come back to you to be paid, I really don't know, but I would always declare any accident with my insurer.

It's a common misconception that the French health care system is free or "cheap". It is certainly better in some respects but worse in others, than the UK.  My annual cotisations into the French healthcare scheme are more than double the cost of the best BUPA scheme that I could have in the UK. Some people pay less some people pay more of course, but the French system has to be paid for and I wonder how many people here pay 8% of their earnings into the healthcare.

Paul 

[quote]Hi everybody. Just a little story about the French health system. I am still under the E106 and have a Carte Vitale. I recently had a small accident during renovations (dont we all) and hurt my neck....[/quote]

For me the best about all this is that you are well and can boldly go wherever you choose again! My Husband had a similar accident when he parted company with a ladder he had been standing on but luckily he too 'bounced' back!