Medication in France

yellowbelly

Hello,

My wife and I hope to move permanently to the Vendee in the near future, however my wife takes regular medication for a lifetime condition. Is it possible to ascertain in advance wether the exact medication, ie manufacturer and dosage is available in France?

This is a crucial issue for us as she has a bad reaction in UK if the manufacturer is not the same, even though the dosage and contents appear to be exactly the same. We shall be in the area in a few weeks time so don't mind visiting local pharmacies etc. Any advice gratefully received.

Derek

I hope you will get some advice on here to help with your query - as I have been checking up on the same sort of thing.

I have discovered that most of the medicine I take is available - but with different manufactures.  I'll PM you the details I have found & where I checked them & hope this will help.

My suggestion would be to contact the manufacturer via their website and ask them the question. Since the world (as far as medicines are concerned) is dominated by a few major drug companies then the answer is probably yes but the question is far too important to be answered by people like me who will only be guessing.

Benjamin

Ali

Our responses must have crossed. I'm not an expert but I think you'll find that different manufacturers don't make the same medication unless it's under licence from the original developper of the medicine.

As Derek points out , it's vitally important for his wife to be taking exactly the same medication as she takes at the present.

Sorry to be nitpicky.

Benjamin

I totally agree about the improtance of geting the correct medication - I managed to get in touch with a girl who works in the pharmaceutical industry, in France & who was able to check every drug I take & which ones were available in France.  I didn't mean to imply that all manufacturers drugs were suitable, as I know they are not - especially regarding Dereks enquiry.

I'm about to PM the details of how I contacted her to see if she can help.

Thanks for all the interest and suggestions. I have contacted the distributor who inform me that they do not distribute these drugs in France (won't tell me the name of the manufacture), they have given me a couple of names of similar drugs available in France but the sizes are different eg 15mg and 50mg instead of 60mg. I realise that four 15mg is the same as one 60mg, but is it?

I wonder if it is possible to have drugs sent over if one is no longer resident in the UK?