long term health care

polly

I would appreciate any information about long term health care in France. Has anyone decided to return to UK as a result of the need for long term care.  We may need chemotherapy and I would like to know if I will have to pay for it in France or shall I have to stay in England until it is over, and probably cancell my plans to move and retire to France. My long term plans have all had to change and I am rather cross about it. I know most ex-pats get almost the same health care as if we were in the uk, am i correct in this ? any information will be most gratefully received.

Polly

[quote user="polly"]

I know most ex-pats get almost the same health care as if we were in the uk, am i correct in this ? .

Polly

[/quote]

Sorry to hear about your enforced change of plans. But the above is a common misapprehension. If you live in France, even under E106 or E121 forms, you are entitled to the same healthcare benefits as any other French resident.

That means, in effect, you pay, and get a percentage refunded. You can take out your own insurance to cover the extra. However, a condition needing chemotherapy is likely to be regarded as the sort of long-term condition that qualifies for 100% reimbursement, so you may (not necessarily will) be fully covered - but for that condition alone.

Polly, I've been on chemotherapy for many years in  the UK and in France.

Would I stay in the UK for medical treatment? After sampling the French health system, absolutely not.  I know people will say it all depends where you live in France and that sort of thing which it does of course but from my experience the treatment that I have received in France in the last two years (arrived here two years ago almost to the day) is far superior to anything that I received in 20 years of treatment in the UK.

By and large in my area the way is do things now, however expensive, is on the basis that if we leave it it will cost more in the long run to fix.  And from recent experience, from visit to GP to scanner for dye scan to visit to surgeon for possible gall stones/gall bladder removal was under 2 weeks.  If you know what's wrong with you, get into the syatem immediately and get your carte vitale, organise your meds, get to know your GP and local nurses, and you can get yourself around (tho the ambulance service here is good also especially if you have a maladie longue duree) you would be ok here.

One of the reasons that we (semi) retired here was because of the healthcare system and I wouldn't go back to the UK system unless I was forced to.

Please can I thank every one who has taken the time to reply to my query. I never thought I would have the need to know such information. All we wanted was to retire to Normandie and live peacefully and quietly, and strangely all the messages I have received make it seem a possibility, albeit with a few complications. So thank you all for giving us hope.

Bye now Polly