moving to france with my partner who has ms

gerard dore

me and my partner are thinking of moving to northern france iam apainter/builder and have been told there is plenty of work in this region my partner has had ms for five years now and on a daily basis is up and down with her conditon i would like to speak to other people in a simular situation in france to see how they have been getting on to see if life has been any easier for them ilook forward to reading any replies

gerard

Hi Gerard and welcome to the forum.

I keep reading and re-reading your post and trying to formulate some form of reply which won't end up as a rival to War and Peace. Your posting , on the face of it seems fairly straightforward but the answer will differ from individual to individual.

If you can identify any specific queries I'll be only too happy to relate our experiences either on the forum or by pm/mail if you prefer.

Benjamin

Hi there and thankyou kindly for taking the time to answer my email.

I think mainly, we'd like to move to either Pas de Calais, Normandy or Brittany, although don't really mind and obviously if my partner didn't have the worry of the benefits again, it would be even better as she feels a little independant and worthy to which of course she doesn't have to, but it's something inside and I understand.  

Kind regards

Gerard ...............

If you're thinking of moving over here with a partner with a serious condition, then you do need to research things in advance.

MS is no less well known here, but your partner's requirements would need looking after. As you well know, there are several stages and effects from the condition. Our experience is that medical support is at least as good as in the UK.  I have no idea from your post whether your partner is affected in her motor skills or sight, or whether she is in an early 'relapsing and remitting' or advanced stage.  Is she on any form of medication for which continuity is required? 

Whatever, having settled on an area that you think you might want to move to, you try to establish the situation as regards support for your partner's condition. It's a problem, knowing whether to put the cart before the horse.  By that I mean, do you establish the support regime before settling on an area, or vice versa.

It's important that you understand that MS is normally regarded as an 'ALD' (Ailment de Longue Duration), but inclusion in the State Health Service at 100% reimbursement is not automatic - it's dependent on endorsement by your local GP and approval by the Departement.  Probably OK, but not guaranteed.

Best advice: find a place where you want to live and work, then research the GP / local neurology hospital expertise , before finally committing to a purchase.  You may have to take a chance on getting ALD approval on your (probable) GP's advice -  chances are you'll be OK, but it will probably take several months before approval comes through.  If medication is involved, it'll be expensive to fund in the short term, even though you'll probably eventually get reimbursed.

With respect, you can't do this on a 'wing and a prayer'.  Bon courage!

I'll go with what Gardian says and add the following.

Do you speak French? If not you will need to learn as much as you can as your French doctor will arrange for an M O T to confirm your partner's disability  which will mean , probably, a consultation with a neurologist  and possibly hospital scans. It will be important for your partner to be able to describe exactly her symptoms.

You should give a lot of consideration to the property you purchase. Whilst your partner may be reasonably mobile at the moment that may not always be the case and you may also need to consider a wheelchair friendly house and garden for the future. The last thing you will want to do is to be moving house in a few years time as this will only add to your partner's stress levels.

As your partner does not seem to have a very aggressive form of  MS it maybe that she will experience a slow decline in her physical abilities. At the present she may depend upon you, your family or close friends to discuss the low times when they occur. Bear in mind that if you move she will only have yourself to rely on in the future. It is very unlikely that your partner will achieve the same level of closeness with your new found French neighbours which will enable her to gain support during the low times.

In your reply above you mention benefits but I'm not sure what you mean by that.

• 3 months later...

I myself have just been diagnosed with MS and the people here have been nothing but helpful.  Just in the process of sorting out paperwork as it's one of the 30 chronic illnesses covered 100% by the state...phew!  Apparently it costs 15,000 euro/year for one persons treatment.  You will need to get top up insurance to conver any hospital stays though...these can be quite costly as I've just found out!

Good luck!

Hi Gemma

I notice in another post (E106) that you're just approaching your 30th, a classic age for MS to manifest itself.

Mrs Benjamin first suffered symptoms in the late 70's and she's early 60's now. I'd be interested in what treatment you are expecting to get for the 15,000€ a year that you've been told and who has told you this figure.

Presently, apart from very easy access to our French doctor, she is receiving no medication whatsoever. She gets as many seessions with a physiotherapist as she requests but these are only of limited value.

Hiya,

I'll be starting on Rebif next month...can't wait.  Have the nurse coming to show me how to use the kit so I don't stab myself somewhere I shouldn't!  I was told by my neurologist in Purpan Hospital, Toulouse the costings of treatment.  I wanted to start treatment straight away and was prepared to maybe pay whilst waiting for my paperwork to go through...thought twice after that!

• 2 weeks later...

Gemma / Benjamin ...........

My wife has been on Rebif for just over 3 years now - for 9 mths in the UK prior to coming over here and it was then prescribed again once we moved over.

I believe that it is only considered appropriate for those with relapsing / remitting form of the condition (although I could stand corrected on that), i.e. in it's least debilitating form.  It's a beta interferon drug, which essentially seeks to halt, or at least delay, any further deterioration in the patient's condition.

For my wife, it has so far succeeded in doing just that.  Her most recent IRM (or MRI) scan showed no change from 2 years previously.

Current cost is just under E1000 / 4 wk period, thus E13,000 p.a.

Oh and Gemma, the spring-loaded applicator is a piece of cake and very straightforward once you get used to it.  By the way, you may get advised to take your 'shot' late evening (as my wife was in the UK). However, the French neurologist advised early evening - the fact that it makes you a bit 'hyper' has less of an impact than if doing it just before bed.  Best of luck with it.   

My wife has ms, ws diagnosed in UK in 93. We've been in France since 96. i have found the treatment here to be amazing, if she needs anything she gets it.

My wife can't take beta intiferon due to the side effects. what she takes is Methotraxate, 3 tablets every monday morning. since have that treatment she has been attack free and stabalised physically, prior to that had about 3 attackes every yr.

My wife see a physio once a week ambulance picks her up. her GP is great, i just phone whenever wife needs new persciption.

We are near Rennes, they have one of the worlds leading experts on MS at the local hospital.

the treatment here has really made a huge differance to the quality of life my wife has.

in UK blood tests took 2 weeks before getting results, here it takes 2 days for the results of my wifes monthly blood tests.

whatever you do learn french.

Your wife if she is concidered 80% disabled is entitled to disabled beneifits, this will get you both a carte vital. also if concidered 80% disabled you don't pay tax d'habitation or foncier or tv licence