Restless Leg Syndrome

TWINKLE

My husband has suffered for 8 years and the last year and a half has been awful.  Sleepless nights, weight loss......He's tried everything from accupunture to herbal treatments - not forgetting the modern medicine alternative which is a drug used on Parkinson victims which did not help. 

When he's at the end of his tether he puts up the doseage of a drug that helps him sleep called Rivotril.  It's very strong and the effects linger the day after which is not pleasant or safe when he's working and driving.

I'm posting this in the hope of hearing from some of you who may just have a remedy for this horrible syndrome.

Hi Twinkle

Magnesium deficiency can be a common cause of Restless Leg Syndrome. Your husband could request a blood test from doctor or simply try some magnesium supplements which can be purchased over the counter in both Uk and France. A word of warning, all brands are not equally effectively absorbed and I find the ones that work best are the soluble tablets sold in LDL France.

Another factor could be insufficient calcium intake does he eat the recomended 3 portions of calcium rich food daily?

Good luck, do let me know how he gets on whatever he decides.

Thank you Artois & Patf.

One of the first things he did was to get a blood test to check for any deficiency and he was put on a course of magnesium.  Over the last 8 years he has tried different strengths and makes but this has made absolutely no difference unfortunately.  He eats plenty of dairy products and definately gets enough calcium every day.  He has a very good appetite - but due to lack of sleep he just burns off the calories.

As Patf said one doctor suggested bad circulation and he tried Climaxol and Jouvence de L'Abbé Soury - no result.

Twinks, I have Fibromyalgia and have the symptoms of restless leg syndrome as part of that.  There is a drug called Cymbalta (approved in France but not sold/manufactured here 'cause the drug company says they wouldn't get enough money), which IS available in the UK, Ireland, Germany, Scandinavia, Spain and Andorra (through Spain).  I was taking it in the States and it helped me a lot.  I stopped when I couldn't find it here and noticed that gradually all the symptoms came back.

When I discovered that I could get it in Andorra with a French prescription, I ordered it and started taking it again.  It is now 6 weeks since I've been back on it and it makes a huge difference in my life.  I actually sleep now because I'm not always having to move to not have pain/discomfort when I'm lying down.

It is an anti-depressant, but works for FM and diabetic neuropathy because it stops the nerve endings from overreacting to pain stimulii.  Your husband may want to look into it.

Good luck.

PG

Twinkle I am sorry to hear that your husband is suffering so much, doubtless this also means you also have much to endure, my sympathy to you both.  It seems that the people who have responded so far have a good wealth of knowledge and 'remedies' for you to look into, I hope these offer some respite.  As you have already tried various alternative treatments and drugs I don't know if I am able to offer any further insights, but just in case......

Calcium and Magnesium, as already mentioned.  Perhaps melatonin (1.5mg taken two hours or less before bedtime - can increase up to 5mg over a period of time if not effective).  This is a natural hormone that can help to promote sleep.  Another natural remedy to look into may be Dehydroepisterone.  Potassium or Zinc in herbal form may help, as may kava kava, passion fruit, skullcap or Valerian root.  I do not know 'Rivotril' (is it based on temazepam?) but as with any prescription sleeping drugs, long term use should be avoided (if possible), as they can lead to sluggishness, hightened levels of anxiety, confusion. etc. etc. 

His reduced productive performance may be related to the drugs (of lot of them can impair the quality of sleep by interupting the natural sleep cycles), but it may be that the sleep deprivation is the main culprit, over a period of time this will, unsurprisingly,  reduce concentration, endurance and may lead to further health problems. 

Exercise can play a role, it does not sound as though you husband has a sedentary lifestyle, but if he has this can impact on restful sleep.  Exercise regularly in the late afternoon or early evening (not just before bed).

Diet may have a part to play, if possible only drink caffeine before lunchtime, drink camomile/catnip tea to help calm the nervous system.  Avoid alcohol (sorry) and tobacco.  Bacon, cheese, potatoes, sugar, spinach, tomotoes ham, chocolate should be avoided close to bedtime as they contain neurostimulants.  Turkey, bananas, figs, milk tuna and grapeful are good things to be eating in the evening.  (also avoid cold and nasal decongestants later in the day).

Try and establish a routine. 

• Go to bed only when sleepy
  • Use the bedroom for sleeping (maybe sex), but not to work, watch TV
  • If you are unable to sleep go to another room - read, watch TV, etc. until you are ready to sleep
  • Set your alarm clock to wake up the same time each day - regardless of how you slept!!
  • Take a hot bath (not a shower) an hour or two before bedtime.
  • learn a relaxation technique, use this to help dispel worries and anxiety

If your husband has unresolved emotional issues from earlier life, deal with these!!

It may be that you have heard and tried all these before, but I do hope you both gain something of use out of the replies posted.

Best wishes

Ergotherpeut - Rivotril is in fact Clonazepam, with sedative effects like all benzodiazepines, also used against seizures -  as an adjunct treatment in some forms of epilepsy. But it can be very useful as a last resort for anything  like muscle spasms, especially when those are painful, or when the muscles are totally locked. 

Ergotherpeut1 the advice you give reminds me very much of a homoeopath I consulted - after a fairly long first session when she went all through my childhood and family life, I found her remedies very successful - originally I had colitis which was dealt with, then just as a side issue I mentioned that my ankles had started to swell, she prescribed something, I took it and the swelling went and has never returned.

Twinkle, it really is worth finding a good homoeopath in my opinion. Good luck with it.

Hi!

I've been away for a few days.  Thanks for the replies.  Ergotherpeut1 - we do try to stick to a routine but my husband is a musicien and so this is very difficult.

We have tried and he's stilling using homeopathy and has seen several over the years.  He hates the strong drugs - but when he doesn't sleep for days at a time he takes some Rivotril which is the only thing that helps  him sleep otherwise he just loses weight and is exhausted when he has to work.

I've showed him all of the posts and he was sure that there wouldn't be a miracle cure but thanks you all for the advice and time you've taken to reply.

My mother suffered very badly with this and tried all sorts of things.  What gave her some relief was when someone told her to raise one end of the bed very slightly - unfortunately I cannot now remember if it was the head end or the foot end that should be higher, but would be simple enough for you to try out.

Bon courage

Chrissie (81)

Twinkle

I have worked with a number of people suffering from this condition, usually for me though this is when people have dificulty managing their day to day activities and they are required to learn new techniques and/or modify their environment  

I have asked a couple of friends in the UK (one GP and Homeopath) to see if they have any suggestions regarding your husbands condition.  I will also have a look at the research databases I use to see if there is anything, new or otherwise, that may offer some hope of relief.  It would be helpful to be able to ask one or two questions (does he smoke, lifestyle choices.etc) to avoid covering areas you have already looked into.  If you would like to, send me a  pm.  I understand if you do not want to, more frustration, more questions, no definite good outcomes, etc!!

Best wishes

[quote user="Chrissie"]

My mother suffered very badly with this and tried all sorts of things.  What gave her some relief was when someone told her to raise one end of the bed very slightly - unfortunately I cannot now remember if it was the head end or the foot end that should be higher, but would be simple enough for you to try out.

Bon courage

Chrissie (81)

[/quote]

We tried that a long time ago Chrissie - you have to slightly raise the foot of the bed but it didn't work.  We even tried - wait for it.....a bar of Marseille soap under the sheets at the bottom of the bed!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Twinkle, regarding your hubby's RLS I suffer v.badly with it and was put on quinnine for it. It has helped a lot, i get my quinnine on prescription here in the UK but of course you could get Hubby to drink tonic water, the good ones contain it. Of course stick a gin in and that helps you sleep!

only just read your message!

I had restless legs a few years ago and my Doc advised me to have a spoonful of brandy before retiring. It works for me![;-)]

Try it, you never know, sometimes the simple things are all you need!