Rental Lease Renewal

Sharkster

We are at the end of our 3 year rental lease and want to continue in our property.  Do we need to contact the landlord and arrange for a new 3 year lease?  If we don't do we have any rights?  From what I have read, outside the lease, the landlord must give you 6 months notice.  Is this correct?  Also having just read the deposit post, would we be due a partial refund on our security deposit, since I believe we paid 2 or 3 months deposit.  Also is there such a thing as a rolling contract as in the UK, where you often have a shorthold tenancy agreement for 6 months and then it just rolls on from there?

[quote user="Clair"]The contract (bail) is automatically renewed for 3 years without any loss of rights.
See here: http://www.anil.org/guide/locatif/fin.htm [/quote]

Gosh, that's a nifty site Clair. As my OH and I are also renters it answers all kinds of questions for me; especially as our 3 year lease comes up this summer and we wish to stay in our house for the time being.

Sharkster

You wont get back any of your caution until you leave the property. Otherwise you are right to think that if your landlord was planning to increase your rent or ask you to leave he/she must give you 6 months notice before the end of your present contract.

Sue

If the owner of the property wants to terminate the lease, then it can be done provided you are given 6 months notice by recorded mail at the 30 month period. Other circumstances arise were the owner has the right to take back the property.

1. if you have not conformed to the terms of the lease. Not paid the rent, damaged the property, failed to provide an assurance contract etc.

2. If the owner needs the property for family members, proof is required.

If the owner wants to sell the property, first of all he must offer the property to you as you would have first preference in a sale. if you decline the offer the property may be sold, however you go with the property and your rights simply get passed to the new owner.

If you get no notice before the final 6 months then a new 3 year term commences as before.

ams