Working & carte vitale /E106

newbiee

My E106 is valid until next year (after which time I may or may not be absorbed into the healthcare system - bated breath and all that!)

Currently I am not working.  (My wife does not work either and has her own E106.  We're both still waiting for our carte vital to come though.) 

However, a friend of my brother said he may be able to put a bit of work my way (a few days here and there I think).  He is fully legit (of course!) and would pay me by cheque d'emploi.

What I need to know is how this will affect my healthcare situation.  I believe E106 covers those who are not working while overseas from the UK.  Does this mean not working at all?  Or can one earn a small amount up to a certain level?  I don't want to take a few days work if it scuppers my healthcare.

Any information and advice will be gratefully received.

Cheers

Paul

Unless I am misreading your post, the work you are contemplating is for

a company or an artisan and would not be covered by CESU.

You can be paid by CESU (Chèque Emploi Service Universel) only if you provide assistance for an individual in his/her home.

Details here: http://www.travail.gouv.fr/informations-pratiques/fiches-pratiques/employe-e-maison-assistant-e-maternel/cheque-emploi-service-universel-cesu-bancaire.html

There is different type of chèque emploi, called Chèque Emploi TPE, which can be used by a small company (fewer than 5 employees) to pay for existing or new employees.

Details here: http://www.emploitpe.fr/cetpeweb/home.jsp

You would become an employee, with the same rights (and constraints) as any other employee.

You would be paid at least the current minimum hourly rate and would pay contributions in the same way as any other employee, through your salary and your employer.

Your E106 would become void and your healthcare would be covered by your CPAM as usual, except that, in the event of your becoming unemployed, you would most probably be able to piggyback on your wife's E106.

Forget the E106. As far as French employement regulations are concerned, you either are working or not working. There is not middle ground.

If you are working, you are contributing and your E106 becomes irrelevant.

Thanks for the reply Clair, very helpful.

But surely there is a minimum you can work (monthly or yearly) to be covered by the health system (not by E106).... otherwise everyone could get three days work in a year and then be covered.

(I don't mean to sound flippant ...   I had assumed that their must be a minimum one has to earn (and therefore pay tax on) before being covered.)

[quote user="bigears"]

hi

if its just a couple of days here and there, many would expect 'cash in hand' or is it 'under the table'.  What's wrong with a little bit of ducking and diving?

[/quote]

What, apart from it being illegal and immoral?

[quote user="Benjamin"]Slow afternoon bigears? You should try the IB thread if it's action you're after.

[/quote]

Or how about digging up one of the many UK plates in France threads, always good for relieving the tedium after a post-prandial nap?  [Www]

hia

you three are obviosly suffering from the same malaise as I.  It never ceases to amaze me at the holyness of contributers comments here.  Are you real?  I know many expats here who are not pursuing the straight and narrow, presumably they have better things to do than wasting their time on forums such as this.  I on the other hand being on the straight and narrow get bored from time to time and find the forum quite entertaining, like a soap opera.

Benjamin I have no idea what you are talking about.

[quote user="bigears"]

hia

you three are obviosly suffering from the same malaise as I.  It never ceases to amaze me at the holyness of contributers comments here.  Are you real?  I know many expats here who are not pursuing the straight and narrow, presumably they have better things to do than wasting their time on forums such as this.  I on the other hand being on the straight and narrow get bored from time to time and find the forum quite entertaining, like a soap opera.

Benjamin I have no idea what you are talking about.

[/quote]

Mods ... why isn't there a "yawn" icon?