Cancer care for elderly relative.

Shelly

We've lived in France for a year . My mother in law in the Uk has just been told that she cannot live on her own. She has had cancer for two years. The only option as we have no family there is to move her here with us. We've filled the E121 form in. The date we are looking at is in a few weeks time while she is still fit enough to travel. I know people will have been through this situation so any help or advice will be welcome.

Thankyou Shelly

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks i've already rang them and they were very helpful. My mother in law arrived yesterday here. She's very poorly, we're waiting for the doctor now. Hopefully i'll find all the information I need through the doctors and hopital.

Shelly ............

You may well be aware of this already, but no harm to mention it.

One of the 1st things would be to have your MIL examined as soon as she arrives here by your medecin traitant and for a Protocole d'Examen Special to be completed by him / her and submitted to the Securite Sociale. This is the route to obtaining her condition designated as an 'ALD' and thus for any medication / hospitalisation to be covered 100% (anything related to her cancer, that is).

It can take a bit of time for the request to get processed, so time is of the essence.

Sounds as though it's going to be a difficult time: all the best.

If you want to look after her at home then it may be useful to know that there is a palliative care organisation in each department.  Palliative care is not that well developed in France (mainly due to doctors who are anxious that care will be taken away from them) but it now exists and is an excellent service.  Your medecin traitant can give you details for your department and if you contact them they will help organise everything for you - special bed, portable morphine pumps, nurses/carers and even a cleaning lady if necessary.  It is state funded and most the services are covered by ALD.  One or two such as cleaning lady are means tested.  I have just had a friend who was looked after by the local association for the last 3 months of her life and the care was absolutely brilliant, nothing too much trouble, drugs and medical equipment delivered to the house and all medical and nursing care first class.

If you need any further information please ask and I'll help if I can.