Care Homes for elderly

bryansmith

I have been informed by one of my French neighbours that if she needs to go into a home for care (she is 84 but does not think it will be for a long time yet!) she would have to pay for her care and that should her funds run out then her sons would be liable for her. Presuming that this is true what would happen if my wife or I needed similar care and our finances ran out (we do not own any property here or in UK as we rent our house here) would our family in UK be responsible or does that just apply to French families.

If this does occur does any one know (roughly) the cost of care homes here and would our Assurance be of any help?

thanks in anticipation

My wife's family are currently researching this problem. What you have been told is correct, in France you are responsible for the care home costs, when your funds are totally depleted, the burden falls on the children. However State contributions are available if the childrens' income is below certain levels, or there are no children. 

The MiL is wealthy enough, but my wife is the youngest of 6, and due to my ex-pat salary, we are, by French standards well-off, so no help for us, therefore we are already setting aside funds. The position vis-a-vis UK family responsibility is something of which I have no knowledge. Assurance is availably seperately, you could enquire with any agency. Costs of care homes vary, but we are looking at EUR 2050 per month, I can't remember if that was net or brute.

Thanks Clair those are excellent links.

What may surprise some people is that children are also expected to provide for their in laws.

The other paragraph which seems relevant is that covering how any state aid can be recovered:

Very roughly summing up :

1) claimed against any inheritance

2) against the donor if the gift was made after asking for social help, or 10 years previously

3) any property can  have a hypothèque attached

Attention

: l'aide sociale a le caractère d'une avance récupérable.

Plusieurs types de récupération peuvent être mis en oeuvre par l'aide sociale : 

• contre le bénéficiaire revenu à meilleure fortune

ou contre la succession du bénéficiaire. Le retour à meilleure fortune

s'entend d'un élément nouveau qui améliore la situation de l'intéressé.

L'enrichissement suppose une augmentation du capital et non sa simple

transformation. Le recours contre la succession du bénéficiaire est

exercé contre le patrimoine du bénéficiaire de l'aide sociale décédé,

sur l'actif net de la succession et dans la limite de la créance de

l'aide sociale ; 

• contre le donataire lorsque la personne a fait

donation d'un bien postérieurement à la demande d'aide sociale ou dans

les dix ans qui ont précédé cette demande ; 

• contre le légataire. 

La décision peut être contestée devant les juridictions de l'aide sociale. 

Pour garantir ces recours, les immeubles

appartenant aux bénéficiaires de l'aide sociale peuvent être grevés

d'une hypothèque légale.