Swine flu - thinking ahead before our holiday!

Rosyposy_2001

Hi!

Thanks for all the info on sites to visit for information on Swine Flu in France.

We booked our 4-week holiday to our property in Brittany many months ago before there was any mention of Swine Flu, and having just survived (yet another!) hip operation, I could not wait to get away to our beloved cottage in 2 weeks time. I have just realised that in 10 years of visiting France, we have never had reason to call on the medical services (apart from an infected mosquito bite on one of my daughters many years ago), and that apart from ringing SAMU in an absolute emergency I have no idea how to get help.

In the light of recent events, could anyone please tell me what I should do if either my husband or myself developed flu-like symptoms while on holiday?  Obviously it would not be helping anyone for us to go to the nearest surgery in these circumstances. and I am particularly worried if it should be my husband as I cannot drive (and wouldn't be able to anyway following the recent operation), and I would not know who to ring for help. Our only neighbours now live in Paris and are not often there. My French is rusty, although I try very hard, and I am afraid I would not be able to make myself understood over the phone. In particular, what should we do if the situation arose at the weekend, or worsened overnight?  

I followed the link at the start of the health section to find a local doctor, but it said there was no results for the search in my postcode area, which I'm sure isn't right - we are between Lignol and Guemene-sur-Scorff in the Morbihan.

I realise I should have looked into this before in a general way during the 4 years we have owned our house, but would very much like to arrive prepared for the worst, which probably won't happen, or for any other future illness where we cannot/must not just turn up at a local doctor's surgery, as I don't want to be a burden on the local community by doing all the wrong things.

We cannot just postpone the holiday as UK tv is telling us that this swine-flu situation could take up to 5 years to burn itself out, and it's not practical to stay put in England for that amount of time when we have a property to maintain!

I should point out that neither of us have, or know anybody who has, or has had, any symptoms of swine flu, this is purely contingency planning!

Any advice gratefully received,

Thanks.

Call your doctor or call 15 in case of evidence of influenza (fever, fatigue, cough, pain ..)

PHILIPPE ROIG                          >> Plus de détails

Médecin généraliste Conventionné secteur 1

12 RUE GENERAL BRENOT

56160 GUEMENE SUR SCORFF

GERARD ULLIAC                       >> Plus de détails<

23 RUE BISSON

56160 GUEMENE SUR SCORFF

BERNARD GUYOMARD           >> Plus de détails

9 RUE DE BELLEVUE

56160 GUEMENE SUR SCORFF

PAUL KERBELLEC                   >> Plus de détails

12 RUE DU GENERAL BRENOT

56160 GUEMENE SUR SCORFF

ELISABETH GUEGUEN MEVEL            >> Plus de détails

12 RUE DU GENERAL BRENOT

56160 GUEMENE SUR SCORFF

Thank you so much for all the info! As we are on holiday and not full-time residents, could we call any of the above doctors? Apart from the "flu situation" would we do the same out of hours, or would there be a special number (similar to NHS Direct, or our local doctors out-of-hours number in the UK) to ring? Hopefully we shall never have to bother anyone!

Thanks again in anticipation.

Make sure you each bring a valid EHIC.

If you do need medical care, call any of the GPs above.

They usually have a recorded message for out-of-hours calls and if you do not understand it, I suggest you try another GP [:)].

You will have to pay for any health care, then claim a refund (details)

For health emergencies, call 15 to speak to an adviser first, then to a doctor (you do need to be able to speak French). It's an emergency service rather than an information service.

Just an idea...

Would it be worth calling the list of Doctors Clair has given before you leave, to ask if they speak English?

With any luck one of them will, and then you will know which to call in case of an emergency in the future, not only swine flu.

With even more luck (that I wish you) this will be the only call you ever make to them..