Change to EHIC regulations which will effect many of us

Tony F Dordogne

I've just picked this up from a Euro email that somebosy has sent me:

"As of 1 March 2010 all citizens of the EEA and Switzerland, where they take up residence in another relevant State and where they have secured their right to health care following their entitlement to receive the issue of E. Form 121 and where they have registered the Form 121 will, as from the above date, now be required to apply for their European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) from the competent State, in other words the UK.  The second reading of the proposal to amend Council Regulation 883 of 17 June 2004, dealing with the coordination of social security schemes, was adopted by the EU Parliament during week ending 26 July 2009. Further, this will be published in the Official Journal of the EU on 31 August 2009. The matter of the emendation of those regulations, insofar as they relate to Annex III of Council Regulation 1408/71, has yet to be resolved, as is the case in respect of non EEA migrant workers."

From what I've read, the downside is that making application by email/internet isn't currently available.  The upside is that they will last for 5 years and not the one year life that the French cards have.

[quote user="Tony F Dordogne"]

From what I've read, the downside is that making application by email/internet isn't currently available. 

[/quote]

Quote: "The easiest and most efficient way to apply for an EHIC is online."

(from http://www.nhs.uk/nhsengland/Healthcareabroad/pages/Healthcareabroad.aspx)

Useful information Tony - when (and if) the rule change is formally implemented will not be decided until after 31 Aug, but we have the 1 March 2010 date for when the change is likely to happen. So there will be little point in E121 holders wanting a European Health Card applying for a British one until much nearer then. It appears to be bringing E121 holders into line with those using other E forms, such as E106.

[quote user="Tony F Dordogne"]  "As of 1 March 2010 all citizens of the EEA and Switzerland, where they take up residence in another relevant State and where they have secured their right to health care following their entitlement to receive the issue of E. Form 121 and where they have registered the Form 121 will, as from the above date, now be required to apply for their European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) from the competent State, in other words the UK.  [/quote]

Benjamin, pretty straight forward really, 1 March 2010 it says there.  It is only the second reading but it will be passed, first reading was whizzed through and there's no opposition to this,m all comes under health regulation normalisation across the EU, more to follow as I unravel it.

Competant State, oxymoron, well we all have our opinions on that, I'll just stick to the legal healthcare view/definition for the time being.  With all its many and varied faults, more pleased than ever that I live in France.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm still under my workers E106 (did somebody mention oxymoron [:$]) and those nice people at the DWP recently sent us new 5 year EHIC's when our old ones ran out.

I too am curious to see what would happen if I presented at a surgery or hospital in UK for treatment but I have no immediate plans to do so [blink]

[quote user="AnOther"]I'm still under my workers E106 (did somebody mention oxymoron [:$]) and those nice people at the DWP recently sent us new 5 year EHIC's when our old ones ran out.

I too am curious to see what would happen if I presented at a surgery or hospital in UK for treatment but I have no immediate plans to do so [blink]

[/quote]

I suspect, in practical terms, nothing. You would get whatever treatment was necessary. To get an EHIC you need to be in the NHS system, and being in the NHS system entitles you to NHS treatment. If you were an illegal immigrant or a returning expat health tourist it would be a different story, nevertheless I am sure plenty of people will find what-if scenarios to get round this simple principle, just as they do in questions of vehicle registration and fiscal residence.

Here is one!

I am like Judith obviously English, but my CEAM is  the one year one paid for by the French as I am in their system.

I am not on a E121,  ( I am in any case under 65) and am unlikely ever to be.

Many people who have worked in France long enough to get a pension here may find themselves in this position in the future, but for the moment there are relatively few of us who post on boards such as this.

So it could easily happen that on a visit to the UK I would present with a French card if I needed treatment for one of my illnesses..

I would not consider myself a 'returning expat health tourist', as I have access to all aspects of the French system and have a Mutuelle; but I could imagine that it might look odd.

But France would be your competant state Norman and although on the front-line NHS staff may not understand the finer points of it, I'm sure that they'll just take your card with their usual good grace and wide smile.

Interestingly, when we were back in the UK last November J had shingles, we went to SiL's GP and when we asked for the forms, he told us not to bother, said it too much grief for him and the p[ractice.

I agree, NormanH has a CEAM, issued in France, because he belongs to the French system, rather than holding an EHIC. ANOther, because he has a workers E106, almost certainly continues to pay NI contributions to the UK, so is in a different situation.