CPAM Code gestion

maconnaisemaconnaise

My code gestion on the carte vitale is 70, ie etranger.

My husband is very ill at the moment and I need to stay in the hostel for families on site at the hospital. Now the price per night ranges from 8 to 32 euros depending on your code gestion. (You also have to have your latest tax forms and the proof that someone is hospitalised.) Now, code 18 is adult handicapped, code 11 is assures retraite, code 90 is biologists Medicines all of which would apply if I was french and would qualify for the 8 euro tarif. Etranger pays 32 euros.

I'm not saying that it isn't better value than a hotel. But it seems like legalised racial prejudice and 1000 euros is a lot to find from a pension for the month! I thought that EU persons were afforded the same rights as a french person under the CPAM.

I will ask AXA insurance their position on this but usually they will only pay the difference if the CPAM pay a part.

Has anyone any ideas or thoughts on the subject? I know some of you are very familiar with ameli. I have looked and nothing relevant comes up for code gestion and my french isn't very good for complicated things.

I do sympathise with your situation but if CPAM pick up 70% - or even 35% - and your mutuelle pick up the rest of the bill, I don't see what the problem is.  If you present your Carte Vitale and details of your mutuelle to the hospital, it's likely that they will just bill the mutuelle direct which is what's happened to other people I know in a similar situation though of course you are with the well know exclusion clause company AXA.

As for legalised racial prejudice, no it's not, you're not a different race, you're just from a different country and there are rules to deal with etrangers from the EU who are treated differently from non-EU and non-French claimants.  No, we're not treated the same as the French, if you're on an E121, remember that the UK government still pay a good part of your health bill every year - somebody else will know whether they pick up the bill for spousal/familial hospital stays, if they don't then are you expecting the French government to pay for the stay when you've not contibuted to the health service?

I am sorry to hear of your situation, but I don't think it can be described as 'legalised racial prejudice'

If it is anything it might be discrimination.

People from EU countries have the same rights as French people in the same circumstances, not in every case

For example the code 11 is for "assurés retraités" that is for people who are retired from being an 'assuré', that is having paid into one of the 'régimes' for the necessary number of years.

French and EU citizens who have the CMU are those who have not been members of one of the many French 'régimes' and so benefit from a 'catch-all' regulation for those who would otherwise have no cover

That is why it is called 'Universelle', not because it is for 'everybody' as many British people wrongly assume.

Where there might be discrimination is if the code gestion for a French person on the CMU de base (and there are very few of them) were different from the code gestion of a EU citizen in the same circumstances.

I checked with my Mutuelle cover, but the 25 euros a day is only for people accompanying a child under 12 on my policy. You might find that yours is different.

It would be worth checking.

The explanation for what is to be found on the Carte Vitale is here

I'm sorry, some people have missed the point.

Racial discrimination shows prejudice! As EU citizans, not french, we are code 70 no matter if retired, handicapped or any of their other codes afforded to a French person. Under code 70 the CPAM pay nothing.

I am not talking about my husband's hospital stay, that is covered by Axa. I checked Axa and they pay 15 euros a day if you 'accompany' your relative which they interpret as staying in the same hospital room! Good get-out on that one.

[quote user="maconnaise"]I'm sorry, some people have missed the point.

Racial discrimination shows prejudice! As EU citizans, not french, we are code 70 no matter if retired, handicapped or any of their other codes afforded to a French person. Under code 70 the CPAM pay nothing.

I am not talking about my husband's hospital stay, that is covered by Axa. I checked Axa and they pay 15 euros a day if you 'accompany' your relative which they interpret as staying in the same hospital room! Good get-out on that one.[/quote]

No, it is not because you are not French that you are on code 70.

I am not French, but I am not on that code.

The code gestion depends on a variety of factors, such as if you have previously been a contributing member of one if the 'régimes' in France.  A British person who  retires to France without ever being in a 'régime' will have a code that reflects that fact, not their nationality.

[quote user="maconnaise"]I'm sorry, some people have missed the point. Racial discrimination shows prejudice! As EU citizans, not french, we are code 70 no matter if retired, handicapped or any of their other codes afforded to a French person. Under code 70 the CPAM pay nothing. I am not talking about my husband's hospital stay, that is covered by Axa. I checked Axa and they pay 15 euros a day if you 'accompany' your relative which they interpret as staying in the same hospital room! Good get-out on that one.[/quote]

As I and Norman said previously, it's not because you're not French, it's because you haven't paid in to get the full cover in France.

And it also sounds as tho you've made a mistake with choosing AXA as your mutuelle and you're looking for help to pay the bill for your stay with your husband.  Unless you can get help somewhere else you're going to have to pay the rest of the bill yourself - you could ask at your Mairie whether there is some help from a social fund but I doubt it.  You could also try to plead special circumstances to your local CPAM office.

The French health system is not prejudiced against you at all - you could speak to the UK government tho because it's them that pick up your health bill from your E121 and if you think the French are discriminating against you, speak to your MP for your last constituency, I'm sure he or she will be interested in  your case of discrimination or prejudice.

But why should the French pay for your stay in hospital, for reasons that we all understand, when you haven't paid anything into their health system through working here and they don't pay for your healthcare anyway?  Sounds like you should have chosen a more comprehensive mutuelle to be honest and calling the French prejudiced is just taking out your frustration on a system that cannot respond to you and isn't responsible for your situation.