medical complaints in France

Swissie

This person did talk to his top up insurance and asked them, but they were not interested, which seems bizarre, as the second op cost them a lot of money. And whereas a surgeon here would be entirely responsible for the choice of prosthesis and therefore the outcome in case of failure - he just says that it was a Manufacturing fault, so nothing to do with him! What a very sad saga, but somehow I feel sure redress will be got for this really nice man. Battle on.

hi, the top up insurance will become interested if you take a lawyer as they will put a claim in to get the money back if it goes through the courts, this happened with us, even the cpam put a claim in when it went to court. they even tried to claim back the sick pay I received!!

Hello Swissie,

Regarding help with legal procedures and costs, does your friend have Defense Juridique as part of his house insurance policy?

Recently my car was immobilised quite far from home, because a service station's petrol tanks had been accidentally filled with diesel, causing us a great deal of expense and inconvenience.

I had not opted for DJ on my car's cover, but on reading through our house policy (Groupama) I found it seemed to be covered, under Protection Juridique, La Qualité de Consommateur de l'Assuré, "Nous guarantissons les litiges concernant;" ,"Les biens:", and "Les services" etc.

I took all the documentataion to my local Groupama office, the car was inspected and discussed with an expert, and I received a cheque for the full amount of my claim for all expenses 3 months later.

Although this is a completely different case, in my policy document, under "Les services" is "il s'agit des litiges survenant avec des professionnels ou des organismes de services publics ou privées......", and listed among other items is: "tous les établissements de soins ou de cure"

In the event your friend has any form of Defense Juridque included in any insurance policy he holds, it might be worth studying the conditions to see if there is any chance his claim is covered.

Good point, Nomoss.  I've had no end of help from MAAF because of the Defense Juridique element of my car insurance policy.  They've paid for everything and represented me against the other person's insurance company.

I was also chatting to a fellow inmate at my rehab' centre who was there because of a fall at home.  She has great difficulty doing the housework so I suggested she ask her house insurers if they would pay (as my insurance is getting my house and garden work done for me) and lo and behold they agreed to five hours a week help for her.  She'd never have even thought of it if she hadn't asked.  It's not worth not asking!