New Compulsory Old Age Care Insurance

rothrugby

We recently received an email from a newsaper saying the following, does anyone know anything about this?

If its true then it could be a substantial problem for everyone, including the French & it will cause a lot of concern.

OVER-50s living in France could be required to take out compulsory insurance to help pay for their future care needs, a parliamentary report has recommended.
The National Assembly's social affairs committee says the state cannot afford to spend more than the current €22bn a year on elderly people who have lost their autonomy. The report recommends a compulsory private insurance package, called assurance dépendance, which would go to cover the cost of home help or moving into a care home.
According to Le Monde, some insurers are already offering a similar package, priced between €20 and €30 a month, which pays up to €1,000 a month towards care bills. UMP member of parliament Valérie Rosso-Debord said: "As of now, public funding is not enough to cover the billions of euros that will need to be spent on elderly people's dependency in the near future."
Other measures suggested in the report include an increase in the CSG - the contribution sociale généralisée, which make up part of employees' social charges bill.
The proposals will be submitted to the government shortly and discussed after the summer break.

Tony

See:

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/2190057/ShowPost.aspx

Clearly with an ageing world population this is going to have to be tackled at some stage.  Personally I'd rather the state schemes were better funded and would prefer to pay more taxes than let insurance companies have so much control over my future wellbeing, but others think the opposite.  Pity we can't chose really.

Fortunately I live in a country where I will have the choice when to go. Age is unimportant - my dad was as fit and active as a fiddle until 95 and died aged 96. Mum lived at least 10 years too long of misery, and only had one wish - to die. Totally dependent, blind and in constant pain- she asked and asked again to be allowed to go - but still they would practically force feed her and stuff her with antitbiotics as soon as she coughed more than 2x per day. WHY? Keeping people alive beyond any kind of dignity is neither desirable, nor financially viable IMHO, especially if the person makes it very clear themselves that this is NOT what they wish.

[quote user="rothrugby"]Thanks for the comments so far but does anyone know anything more about this proposal please.[/quote]Sorry Tony but like AnO this is all I know.  Until it has been discussed "after the summer break", then I guess it remains  a proposal.