The importance of being covered

Iceni

I hope that most of you are already aware but just in case ...

Di's daughter visited us recently. Breathing problems necessitated an emergency doctor call-out on a Sunday evening. Sadly this did not resolve the issue and a call was made to the pompiers at almost midnight. This was followed by a trip to Figeac hospital where daughter stayed until noon on Saturday. By design rather than luck Sarah had both an EHIC and travel insurance. The insurance company determined that a nurse would be required for the journey home and as Ryanair require 2 weeks notice of a passenger needing oxygen they will be returning to UK business class on a scheduled flight + an ambulance from LHR to rural Essex.

I have no idea how much all this will cost but suspect it will be a tad more than the premium. And don't say "this has never happened to me or mine so it never will". I may have thought that at one time but 7 days in a Lanzarote hospital and a trip home on a stretcher on scheduled flights via Madrid taught me otherwise.

Good fortune may mean that you never have to use your insurance or you may have so much money that it doesn't matter.

John

Maybe you would but would you feel the same if you were on holiday in a foreign land?  Sarah lives in England and cannot stay in our house indefinitely particularly as there is only insurance cover for a finite period. The insurance company, currently footing the bill, wants to send her home, she wants to go home and we want what she wants.

John

Whatever happens, the insurance company ultimately decides since they are footing the bill for the top-up element.  They'll do the calculations and work out which is the cheaper option in the long run.  Either way, these are costs which can really mount up so I'm with John - a bit of insurance cover (and yes, I know there's a lot of animosity out there towards the profession) can be a good thing on these occasions, for peace of mind as well as everything else.

I hope Sarah gets better soon.[:)]