Long term let?

tawny owl

If you want to let long term, I would strongly advise you to go through an estate agent who will do the necessary contracts. Whilst you will pay a fee, there are far fewer problems with tenants who come via an estate agent.

Are you intending to let furnished or unfurnished ?

You might be lucky and find someone from the UK who is looking for a long term let while looking to buy. You will find that the rents are a lot lower than holiday letting, and tenants can go to a tribunal if the rent is considered too high.

Thanks for your reply.

Do you mean we should try and find a local agent or a bigger company? We were believing to in time try a holiday let but being in England it is at present hard to manage. That is why we thought a long term let would be better than leaving the property empty . Hopefully it would be looked after and enjoyed as it is by the river. We are unsure furnished or unfurnished as there is furniture there. Reading other messages on the site I realize it can be complicated and are a little unsure where to start..

Tawny owl, long term letting can be complicated in that there is a difference if you let furnished or unfurnished. In the past, a furnished property could be furnished simply - a bed, a bedside table, a table and chairs etc etc. However, after a tenant took his landlord to a tribunal, a precedent was set in that a tenant could insist that you provide cutlery, linen etc. But I believe that is rare.

First of all I would talk to a local etate agent. Some may not be interested in doing letting so don't be disheartened. They should be able to explain the difference and how you should go about it. If they aren't helpful,try another agent. It is important to understand what you are undertaking.

But whatever you do, be sure you have a proper contract drawn up by a notaire. I have read all sorts of sob stories on other forums about people who have let out their property to their compatriots without a formal contract.....

You could look at the website www.laymyhat.com which has all sorts of helpful information about letting property.

[quote user="Callie"] It is important to understand what you are undertaking.

But whatever you do, be sure you have a proper contract drawn up by a notaire. I have read all sorts of sob stories on other forums about people who have let out their property to their compatriots without a formal contract.....

You could look at the website www.laymyhat.com which has all sorts of helpful information about letting property.[/quote]

If you let furnished you can let for a shorter period of time (usually a year renewable)

On the other hand you can't have the insurance against non-payment of rent that you can take out if  you let unfurnised, and you risk having your things damaged or even stolen.

Unfurnished is for periods of three years, often 3x3, and you can get the insurance mentioned above.

In all cases be vary careful as the balance between tenants and owners rights is very different in France..

Thanks for all the information and site which I will look into . We already have a notaire and yes I have read lots of problems people have encountered. I just trust there is a lot of positive news also that people have not shared as it does seem a minefield especially furnished or unfurnished. I did not realize you could take out insaurance against problems. . We do feel at a big disadvantage being so far away although we have a good neighbour in France. Thanks again...

Good luck with long-term letting.  We unfortunately had a very bad tenant which we inherrited from the previous owner.  He was a non payer of both rent and utilities and it took around around £2,000 and 2 years to get him out through the french legal system.  Place was stripped bare of all appliances and log burner and we are now getting back payments of rent via the french legal system 20 euro here and 40 euros there!  It was very stressful and the state the cottage was left in was, well what can I say "a health hazard"  YUK!  Beware the tenants have more clout than the owners, hence there are so many empty properties in france!

Still I'm sure there are people with happier tales.

Good luck :-)