Questions/Info

Wilko

Hello

Mrs W went to the doc this am. Her cholesterol level is very high. She has been given statins and a diet sheet which implies that the only things she can eat are basically vegetables.........all a bit of a drag.

Would like to hear from others that suffer similarly and what has worked for them.

Thanks for any info

bon santee

W

Please treat this seriously, mu OH died recently from cholesterol blocking his main cartoid artery to the brain.3 He was type 2 diabetic, this is a side effect and there are no symptoms apart from a doppler and scanner visit. He had to control his cholesterol by strict diet of no charcuterie, red meat especially lamb, full fat cheeses etc. You need to read the MG value of food products you buy and also the sugar content. You can make delicious natural meals f rom veg and fish and some rice and pastas are very low sugar and fat content. Spend some time reading the packets and labels, it may save her life one day.

You can even have a blocked artery with normal Cholesterol. My right carotid artery has been blocked for 10 years, but fortunately I had a minor rather than a major stroke, and wasn't diabetic.

Strangely enough I have never had a high Cholesterol level, but now the 'normal' for me is lower than for someone who has never had a problem.

I have annual echographies of the artery and blood pressure checks.

If caught in time an operation is also possible, but the neuro surgeon decided against in in my case.

Apart from the risk of dying there are risks of smaller strokes like mine, which can leave   you handicapped. I can no longer drive and walk with a Rollator.

As Val says, from much sadder and more recent experience  than mine, have check ups.

Watch blood pressure and Cholesterol levels, and have a six monthly or annual examination from your Cardiologist

Last night, I caught part of a programme called Food Hospital on Channel 4.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-food-hospital/episode-guide/series-1/episode-3

I have provided you with a link in case you wish to look into it more.

They are looking at diet and eating certain foods and supplements to counter some common medical conditions.  There was a man with "fatty liver" and high cholesterol who was given advice on diet change.

As with these types of programmes, I don't think they show the failures but, after 3 weeks, the man was said to have begun to reverse the damage to his liver and lowered his cholesterol.

Might be worth investigating further?

They are also conducting some research into various conditions which they believe to be treatable by diet and you can sign up to be guinea pigs should you wish.

I haven't looked at the site yet but I hope you find enough to get you started.

I have a genetic tendency to accumulate cholesterol and have had advice on diet (following a heart attack.)

Actually I wasn't eating too much of the forbidden foods anyway, and always ate plenty of fruit and veg.

The main changes I made were to low fat milk, veg. margarine (no butter), cut out all cream. Use only veg. oil and as little as possible. Reduce salt. Eggs - one a day.

Recent blood tests have shown a reduction to normal of my cholesterol level, though I take statins too.

Pat, they did mention that high cholesterol could be genetic but they didn't say that the people who "inherited" the condition couldn't be helped by diet.

I believe that regular and energetic exercise could also help.

The one and only time I had my level checked was when the eye test people recommended that I got it done.  It was right on the upper limit of "normal" but I was in a stressful job and I wasn't too careful about what I ate or drank once I'd done the commute home along the M4.

I've never even wanted it tested since.

I would suggest a regular 'bilan sanguin ' every year once you get to 60.

It includes tests for cholesterol as well as kidney/liver function, anaemia,sugar etc.

My first cancer (prostate) was picked up very early by this, but I wouldn't have noticed other wise.

I think that genetics must influence this a lot. My Dad still cooks with lard and eats as he pleases, at 87 he is still fit.

I'm not athletic, he is, what shall I say, a generously proportioned woman, and my blood pressure was low the other week and my cholesterol was 4 last week. I eat cream. I have some bread with my butter.  So genetics I reckon.

My blood is ok, so much of the rest of me is knackered. Old age and arthritis, wonderful combination.

[quote user="Wilko"]Hello

Mrs W went to the doc this am. Her cholesterol level is very high. She has been given statins and a diet sheet which implies that the only things she can eat are basically vegetables.........all a bit of a drag.

Would like to hear from others that suffer similarly and what has worked for them.

Thanks for any info

bon santee

W[/quote]

Mrs W has my sympathy.

I had high cholesterol etc and was on Statins after a quadruple bypass some 15 years ago. I read a book called ''Protein Power'' by Dr and Mrs Dr Eades, It seemed to make sense and I adopted the recommended dietary life-style. After a few months I told my doctor and showed him the monthly blood test results which showed a reduction of 'bad' cholesterol and various improvements. He was quite happy that I had stopped the statins.

I also lost 6 in from my waist line and approx 7kg in weight on that dietary life style, I have never taken statins since.

Basically its a high protein diet, very restricted on carbs, and I maintain that life-style to this day.