Any interest in Chiropody/Podiatry from an English speaking professional in the Charente?

Clockwork_banana

Hello

I'm putting out some feelers on behalf of my wife to see what the demand for an English Chiropodist/Podiatrist in the Charente might be. I'm working over here at the moment (I'm not in the same industry) but she is still doing her clinics in the UK. She covers everything from veruccas to nail surgery and gait analysis.

The main problem for her to work here would be the language. So we were thinking if there were a lot of English speaking people out here it might be a good stop gap until she learns French well enough.

I suppose this is more of a survey so we'd be grateful if people just replied to say yes and maybe which locale they're in. And of course any suggestions are welcome.

Based in Angouleme.

Thanks in advance to any replies

John

Supposing she was allowed to practice here, how is she going to manage without the language because she will have the bureaucratic side of things to deal with, possible courses to go on to allow her to work and other things she takes for granted in the UK. You must speak french here and not expect people to talk in english, it very rarely happens and as for targetting a british market, she should aim for the local market as the brits are not spending money like they did and also,a lot of this work is covered by the Carte Vitale and mutuelles which is something she would have to deal with as well. My friend's son is a chiropodist here,born and bred frenchman but it took many years of study and practicing before he could set up on his own and it is well governed by the health authorities too.

I don't know what's happened to this thread, but on my screen the far right-hand side

seems to be missing: it goes off the end of the screen and no amount of altering the screen

or font size seems to rectify the problem.

I've checked a few other threads and it's just this one.[8-)]

(BTW, I've written my post specially with short lines)

[quote user="Val_2"]Supposing she was allowed to practice here, how is she going to manage without the language because she will have the bureaucratic side of things to deal with, possible courses to go on to allow her to work and other things she takes for granted in the UK. You must speak french here and not expect people to talk in english, it very rarely happens and as for targetting a british market, she should aim for the local market as the brits are not spending money like they did and also,a lot of this work is covered by the Carte Vitale and mutuelles which is something she would have to deal with as well. My friend's son is a chiropodist here,born and bred frenchman but it took many years of study and practicing before he could set up on his own and it is well governed by the health authorities too.[/quote]

If you read the post properly you will see it said 'as a stop gap until she

learns French'. Obviously the French market would be better - and if

your toe is blue and falling off I think you would want to see someone

- this isn't a luxury business.

As for qualifications and experience

she is not only a chiropodist but also a podiatrist. For those who

don't know the difference chiropodists basically just do feet eg

veruccas, toenail problems etc whereas Podiatrists do the whole lower

limb eg sports injuries, insole casting after gait analysis where foot

misalignment can not only cause problems in the leg but even back pain.

More experience than most - 13 years in Chiro/Podo with her own

private clinics and 20 years ITU nursing experience before that. And

state registered in the UK which may be transferable - we'll look into

that.

[quote user="Val_2"]Supposing she was allowed to practice here, how is she going to manage without the language because she will have the bureaucratic side of things to deal with, possible courses to go on to allow her to work and other things she takes for granted in the UK. You must speak french here and not expect people to talk in english, it very rarely happens and as for targetting a british market, she should aim for the local market as the brits are not spending money like they did and also,a lot of this work is covered by the Carte Vitale and mutuelles which is something she would have to deal with as well. My friend's son is a chiropodist here,born and bred frenchman but it took many years of study and practicing before he could set up on his own and it is well governed by the health authorities too.[/quote]

If you read the post properly you will see it said 'as a stop gap until she

learns French'. Obviously the French market would be better - and if

your toe is blue and falling off I think you would want to see someone

- this isn't a luxury business.

As for qualifications and experience

she is not only a chiropodist but also a podiatrist. For those who

don't know the difference chiropodists basically just do feet eg

veruccas, toenail problems etc whereas Podiatrists do the whole lower

limb eg sports injuries, insole casting after gait analysis where foot

misalignment can not only cause problems in the leg but even back pain.

More experience than most - 13 years in Chiro/Podo with her own

private clinics and 20 years ITU nursing experience before that. And

state registered in the UK which may be transferable - we'll look into

that.

It is my belief that in France they are called pedicure/podologues and is a regulated part of health care and quite restricted in what they can actually do in France.

And she will surely have to show proof that she has the qualifications that are acceptable in France.

Sometimes it doesn't matter what qualifications one has or what one can do, it is not quite the same in France and hurdles have to be jumped.

In fact I would suggest that she find out exactly what she is lawfully able to do in France as well as sorting  everything else out.

And ofcourse learn working french asap.

I admit that your assumption that one goes to a pedicure/podologue as the first port of call quite shocks me. I have had a few problems over the years I lived in France. I went to my Dr. He never suggested I see other than another Dr and between them, they sorted my problems out. I know that the ped/pods exist, but remember that health care is not free and often people will take the option that is reimbursed.

I think (although I'm really not sure) that this is because the title of your thread is too long.  Can you try to shorten it (you need to edit post no.1) and see what happens, Clockwork?  In the new forum, as in the old, this usually happens if a link or pic is too big - the title may have the same effect?

With the old forum, you had scroll buttons to move left and right so at least you could read these posts without quoting or replying to them.  The new one doesn't have this "luxury."