Prescriiption charges

woolybanana

If you have a life restricting condition in the UK, mostly the same as ALD's in France, then you will receive a prescription exemption certificate (credit card size) and you do not have to pay for any prescriptions you need. Even if say you broke a leg, it would still be covered by the certificate and you would not have to pay for whatever was needed. It covers ANY prescriptions you need, where as an ALD will only cover that one condition.

[quote user="ebaynut"]

If you have a life restricting condition in the UK, mostly the same as ALD's in France, then you will receive a prescription exemption certificate (credit card size) and you do not have to pay for any prescriptions you need. Even if say you broke a leg, it would still be covered by the certificate and you would not have to pay for whatever was needed. It covers ANY prescriptions you need, where as an ALD will only cover that one condition.

[/quote]

A little incorrect to say 'life restricting'. I have an under active thyroid and that gives entitlement to free prescriptions. My life is not restricted provided I take the prescribed pills. If I did not take them then there could be serious consequences.

Paul

[quote user="PaulT"]I have an under active thyroid and that gives entitlement to free prescriptions.

Paul

[/quote]

I've also got an under active thyroid (it seems as if it's affecting half the population these days!) but it's not classified as an ALD in France.

Can I ask, do you just get your thyroxine free in the UK, or all prescriptions?

I had an over active, now under active thyroid and as I said, I take out a pre payment card, and for all the stuff I need each month, it is great value as I pick up 7 things each month on my prescription. Hopefully, that will go down to a couple of things a month in the near future, but it'll still be worth having the prepayment card.

It was never mentioned that I could have anything 'free' at the moment.

As I said, over 60's are free anyway.

[quote user="Pommier"][quote user="PaulT"]I have an under active thyroid and that gives entitlement to free prescriptions.

Paul

[/quote]

I've also got an under active thyroid (it seems as if it's affecting half the population these days!) but it's not classified as an ALD in France.

Can I ask, do you just get your thyroxine free in the UK, or all prescriptions?

[/quote]

Pommier I get all prescriptions free. I did comment when I first got the exemption card 'why is it not just for the Thyroxine' and was told that other things could be affected by a condition that warranted free prescriptions so whatever it is I get it free. Did not realise free prescriptions for 60 and over so as of April I can throw my card away.

Ebaynut - sorry, take your point.

Idun you should be getting free prescriptions. When mine was diagnosed the doctor sent me a note that read 'the bad news is you have an under active thyroid, the good news is you will get free prescriptions for life'.

Paul