Blood tests

EmilyA

My OH has been diagnosed with pre-diabetes and is having regular blood tests to establish what, if anything, needs to be done. Our caisse say that they will only reimburse one test for blood sugar level per year. Hs anyone else had this? Obviously he can check with the doctor on his next visit, but I wondered if anyone knew anything about this.

I had not heard of such a restriction before, but can't say that it doesn't exist.

The nearest reference I have found so far is this limitation on badelettes used by Type 2 diabetics to check their blood sugar levels.

The page may be of interest

http://www.ameli.fr/assures/soins-et-remboursements/combien-serez-vous-rembourse/bandelettes-d-autosurveillance-glycemique.php

The two pdf documents at the bottom of the page talk in more detail about this.

Thanks Norman. These are the normal blood tests done in the local centre. On one day he had to have three at different times and he is having one every couple of months so the cost is mounting up. It isn't a financial problem, but it seems odd that it wouldn't be reimbursed.

Once the initial diagnosis is made, the usual recommendation is for one control test every 1 or 2 years.

It's puzzling to read about so many tests being required...

On the positive side, the condition is reversible with controlled weight-loss, a change of diet and regular exercise (as I'm sure you've already been told).

(sorry, I don't mean to sound preachy; speaking from experience...)

I think the doctor has just been trying to get the picture clear in terms of where the levels are, hence all the tests. My OH took in a food diary and happily the doctor said that our diet is impeccable (actually he said yum and asked when he could come to dinner!) He also said that levels would be much higher without all the exercise, but at 65, there isn't much more he can do. He isn't on any medication for it at the moment.