Leg ulcers

minnie

My brother in law in UK frequently suffers from erupting leg ulcers. These are dressed at the surgery and then bandaged and take ages to heal. Another relative visiting France met a french person who suffers the same complaint and who had a superior type of plaster on his leg ulcer negating the need for bandages. I suggested that I would enquire on the forum if anyone knows the name of these dressings. Apparently they are too expensive for the NHS but if they could be bought privately in UK they would be happy to pay. An outside chance that anyone on the forum can contribute to this pleased. I'd be most grateful.

[quote user="minnie"]My brother in law in UK frequently suffers from erupting leg ulcers. These are dressed at the surgery and then bandaged and take ages to heal. Another relative visiting France met a french person who suffers the same complaint and who had a superior type of plaster on his leg ulcer negating the need for bandages. I suggested that I would enquire on the forum if anyone knows the name of these dressings. Apparently they are too expensive for the NHS but if they could be bought privately in UK they would be happy to pay. An outside chance that anyone on the forum can contribute to this pleased. I'd be most grateful.[/quote]

Don't know the name but suspect they are silver based as silver is a good bactericide.  A near neighbour had them and he was under St Thomas's a fine hospital so some hospitals/health care areas have access. Often wondered why they don't use a javel wash, very cheap and very effective but won't make drug Co's any money so presumably not clinically tested. The stupid governments want to cut the budgets but mis the obvious things whilst they may also represent boards of this co and that so have the fingers in the pie. makes me angry

I have some and they're very good, but expensive. 4 by 6cms about 2€ each.

One type is Allevyn gentle border, made by Smith and Nephew (near where we used to live in Hull.) Pansement hydrocellulaire. So France imports them from England, where you can't get them!

They're based on the theory that healing of such wounds goes best in a damp constant environment. You keep the dressing on for several days.

I had them prescribed first for a burn, then later for leg wounds (my skin is very fragile.)

I expect you can buy them online.

I was prescribed these in France, by an infirmière, for a laceration on my leg, but they are also used for ulcers.

Looks like you're only allowed this information if you are a "health professional" - well, I'm a professional and I like to look after my health, so I looked [:D]

In France they are called "Mepilex Border EM", sites found via Google are also restricted. This is a UK site.

[url]http://www.medline.com/jump/product/x/Z05-PF51564[/url]

Has he tried putting honey on the ulcer?

No I'm not joking, very good results have been found for stubbon wounds if you apply sugar or sugar based compounds.  There is a medical version available which looks like fondant icing but I saw a report by a doctor working somewhere in Africa who said honey was just as good and in any case was the only thing available

Lots of stuff if you google for ulcers honey treatment like this

http://www.worldwidewounds.com/2001/november/Molan/honey-as-topical-agent.html

Minnie wrote:

Oh yes. He has heart problems, is diabetic, on water tablets and warfarin, so he's regularly monitored. He was only asking as traditional methods of dressing take so long to heal the ulcer....

That's why I asked. You'd be amazed how many uncontrolled diabetics there are who have the symptoms but don't get any treatment. Good luck in your quest.

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]

Has he tried putting honey on the ulcer?

No I'm not joking, very good results have been found for stubbon wounds if you apply sugar or sugar based compounds.  There is a medical version available which looks like fondant icing but I saw a report by a doctor working somewhere in Africa who said honey was just as good and in any case was the only thing available

Lots of stuff if you google for ulcers honey treatment like this

http://www.worldwidewounds.com/2001/november/Molan/honey-as-topical-agent.html

[/quote]

Pierre, if he's diabetic, would not the sugar from the honey be absorbed through his skin and upset his insulin balance?

I'm not challenging your research, I'm just asking a question.

I'd heard of honey being used on leg ulcers, and also maggots. I remember my brother had leg ulcers years ago and maggots were used. Apparently maggots healed leg ulcers at a similar rate to normal dressings, but the maggots cleaned wounds five times faster, according to a study that was done at the time. He was treated on the NHS.

Pierre, if he's diabetic, would not the sugar from the honey be absorbed through his skin and upset his insulin balance?

I'm not challenging your research, I'm just asking a question.

I can see why you might think that but it is not the case. No sugars are absorbed by the body.  Glucose and sucrose are far too big a molecule to pass through the skin.

As I see it from the research, the honey  (or sugar paste) does 2 things.  It creates an osmotic pressure on the wound (draws out the ick if you like) and provides a sterile and anti-bacterial environment in which the wound can heal, after all, when was the last time you saw mold in a jar of honey or sugar for that matter.  It's not a quick process, typically  12 weeks is mentioned but I guess this has been going on for a while.