Digibox not working in Spain.

We are in southern Spain until end January, and have brought our Digibox and card with us. There is an existing Digibox with a free to air card which works perfectly, but when we replace it with ours, we get "No satellite signal being received". All the settings seem to be the same, so cannot work out whats wrong. A local expert(?) suggests that our Grundig is older than the installed Grundig and is less powerful. Is he right? Is there anything else one can try?

From sunny Spain, I wish you all a happy Christmas.

Just a thought but when we changed from analogue to digital and bought the new box which was activated by a dealer selling to France but in the UK he said certain boxes were no good after the South of France. It is, I believe and I expect to be contradicted something to do with the "footprint" from the satelite and the further down France you go, the narrower the band until it literally peters out in southern Spain. It is probable then that your box which normally works OK in France is one of these and there isn't a lot you can do about it. Our box is Panasonic and there were two types available at the time of the great change.

Some box's are better than others. When I looked into buying mine I spoke to a couple of shops that I found on the internet. They thought I might have a problem with a Grundig box because the reciever is not very sensitive and might not pick up a signal (we are near the Spanish boarder). I was also told that its power supply is known to have a problem in that it can go bang. It also does not like thunderstorms. The best model sugested to me was the Panasonic, not the new box but the one before that as it has a very high spec reciever, so high spec infact and so it was downgraded in the next model.

Hope you can understand this and that it helps. Mazan is your man if he is about for this sort of thing.

Q

It's true that some boxes aren't as good for some channels in the far reaches of Spain however you should still be able to get some channels with any box. If no channels work then your box may be faulty and with some Grundigs the power supply can be a problem, as mentioned. Can you test it on another local dish?

For anyone worried: all models and brands of Sky box are fine for use anywhere in France.

Grundig boxes are less sensitive than some of the other makes. Even here in the UK I cannot manage a good signal on a Grundig box compared with a Pace. The dish has been set up by a friendly local Sky Manager / Engineer - but still no good.

Spain and particularly southern spain will require a larger dish. At least 90cm and probably 120cm. This is the most likely reason for no signal unless you were careless with the cables but I presume you have swapped back to check. An inadequate dish, poor alignment, low performing box, wrong transponder selected as default all add up to a blank screen.

Hope that helps a little but if you want to pay my expenses to come and set it all up for you I'd be happy to oblige beats the cold of northern france.

CHRIS

>We are in southern Spain until
>end January, and have brought
>our Digibox and card with
>us. There is an existing
>Digibox with a free to
>air card which works perfectly,
>but when we replace it
>with ours, we get "No
>satellite signal being received". All
>the settings seem to be
>the same, so cannot work