LAST EDITED ON 23-Jul-04 AT 06:17 AM (BST)

There was a posting about GPS Navigation for cars here some time back which I found very interesting as I miss the system I had in my Mondeo which was very good and extremely accurate and produced by a company called Becker. I used it several times coming to France and it navigated me door to door without problem.

I had been looking at buying another system but wanted something more portable, preferably a PDA based system as I already have an IPaq 5550.

Using the websites given in the other post I soon discovered its like picking your way through a mine field as there are several systems to choose from. Tom Tom seems to be the most popular although the reviews show some failings in its data quality which rather put me off plus the fact you have to buy each countrys data separately either by buying another data disk or by unlocking the original CD using codes which can be rather expensive.

The other thing you must buy is of course a GPS receiver which is also a bit confusing.

So here is my story with the hope it might help others who like gadgets and a few bob to spare.

Car Sat Navigation is based on two map data providers. The Becker system as fitted to Ford products (including Jaguar, Land Rover etc) is based on the Navteq maps (now known as Navtech). This I know from experience (in my Mondeo) is very good so I wanted a system that used the same data.

Of course the data is only as good as the way its used and car based navigation systems are far superior to PDA versions in their accuracy. The reason for this is that they dont rely on pure GPS but have inertia navigation platforms (Like they have in aircraft) and wheel sensors. This gives an accuracy of around half a metre (or less). PDAs dont have these extra sensors and are therefore less accurate.

Choice of GPS unit to connect to your PDA is also important. I didnt want cables all over the place and being in a hilly and wooded area I wanted a very sensitive unit.

I also wanted to use it off road and for walking so I wanted something light and again capable of working in more severe conditions.

I have chosen to use the following products.

Software - CoPilot Live.: This uses NavTech and can be activated for either the UK or Europe, to get both you have to pay another 99.99 although you will get main routes in the country its not activated in. It will also install in any EU language. I have it activated for the EU although you cant download all of it in to a storage card as it requires around 550MB and there is no card big enough at present.
Downloading the data is simple; select a town in the centre of the area in which you want to travel then select a radius, the maximum being around 400 Miles (thats a diameter of 800 miles). I have found I can download an area from the Spanish boarder up to just short of Calais. It has all the normal Navtech POIs as well as petrol stations, hotels, airports etc and has city and town maps which is useful for walking around Toulouse and a like, street names are included.

CoPilot also has the ability to have its maps updated by patches from NavTech which I have done and know works. It also uses a mobile phone on Bluetooth to receive traffic information. You get a 30 day trial after which you pay a monthly subscription. It works OK here in France but as we dont exactly get much traffic down in Quillan so I have not subscribed afte the 30 days.

GPS Unit.: I chose the Fortuna Bluetooth GPS Clip-on. I was rather concerned as this unit has had problems in the past. Many of the first batch of these units shipped failed. Many of the reviewers had to get theirs replaced but then I read the new batch are OK. I picked this unit because it uses the new XT (SIRF STAR IIE/LP) technology. What is XT? Well its hyper sensitive receiver technology which means you pick up more satellites in difficult areas. Mine is working with 7 satellites and I am down in my basement 5M from the window with all sorts of concrete and steel above me on two levels. The reviews say that it responds slower in XT mode but I have not experienced this. This unit gives between 8 and 10 hrs use out of one charge although a car power cable is available as an extra accessory.

Software BAYO.: This is to use off road either in my Discovery or walking. Its a cheap product (around 40) and uses IGN maps but the program is in French but as I use Windows XP Professional on my PC there is no problem with language DLLs screwing my PC up, a problem usually found with older versions of Windows. Downloading to the IPaq is again simple but due to the level of detail it takes a lot of space. I keep the program in main memory and use a spare storage card for the maps and swap them over depending on which software I am using. This is not the same type of thing as you would use to navi

Not clever enough to understand all of your post but we have just purchased a satnav system that is a pda with a small "flap" attached that you lift up as the GPS receiver. Software is "Navman" and we can download as many or as few maps from the CD's as required. Updates via the web. Came suppled with carry case and cradle.

Tried it out for the first time in France last weekend and got on fine. Seems great for us mere "mortals" who can't cope with anything much more complex than a printed map normally! Was around 350 I believe

www.limousingites.net

I have just bought a Garmin iQue 3600, pricy but the detail is excellent, having loaded all France and SE England. on trials locally details and guidance goes down to single country tracks. When walking round Mayenne or Flers gives street names so could plot where the car is parked then I would know where to find it. Ideal for a bear with little brain like me.

Will give it trials on my visit next week

Chris i am considering Bayo, but;

>the program is in French but as I use Windows XP Professional on my PC there is no problem with language DLLs screwing my PC up, a problem usually found with older versions of Windows

Any idea if its going to screw up on Win 2000?

Mike

--------------------------------
http://www.splash-internet.com
--------------------------------