Alternative (PC) Web Browser

I have now been using the Mozilla Firefox browser for several weeks and find it very good. Previously I used just Mozilla, again I found that quite a bit better than Microsoft Internet Explorer.

The main features where I believe it is easier to use the Microsoft Internet Explorer are:

a. You can open pages in new "tabs" as well as a new Window (which I find makes switching between pages that are open at the same time much easier - particularly where the taskbar "stacks" different instances of the same application under one button).

b. Download Manager (keeps track of requested downloads – even if you close/lose the link in the middle of a download).

Some organisations rate is as more secure than Internet Explorer (including (it is alleged) the US “Department of Homeland Security). I do not have adequate knowledge to comment on this aspect.

I have not yet had the confidence to make it my default browser and would not suggest trying to remove Microsoft Internet Explorer. Although I am told you can remove Internet Explorer, if you do quite a bit of stuff stops working. Also, Microsoft stuff often will not work in non-Internet Explorer browsers (it just says that you “must do this in Internet Explorer”).

I thought I would mention it in case others might want to “give it a try”.

I'm using Mozilla and in certain circumstances - particularly online shopping - Mozilla throws up errors and I have to switch to IE. Firefox may get over that so I'll investigate. In Mozilla I don't get many of the formatting options available on LF... but I don't consider that much of a downside. I certainly prefer Mozilla to IE but the other browser I used to use and liked - but just haven't got around to downloading again - is Opera.

Carole

firefox is fast becoming THE alternative browser. I find it a lot faster than mozilla and netscape, and of course it's free - unlike Opera. IE has so many security holes we are actively discouraged from using it at work (a software house)

It's not just for PC though - I use it on my Mac as well, sometimes even in preference to Camino.

Mary

Quote: I find it a lot faster than mozilla and netscape, and of course it's free - unlike Opera.

Opera comes in two flavours - the free version has advertisment sponsorship at the top right of the browser but still retains full functionality.
The purchased version does not have the adverts.

Firefox 1.0 was officially launched on Nov 9th. I use it as my default browser and have to say that if knocks lumps out of IE. I've encoutered no problems with compatability so far except with Alexa (Firefox blocks spyware pretty effectively it seems) which only runs with IE - so I'll keep IE as a backup.

Get it free at http://www.mozilla.org - I have no connection, but I think its great.

I've been using the free version of Opera for about three or four years now, I have to admit to loving it, you soon get used to the advert in the top corner, I hardly notice it these days, and when I do look up, it's virtually always something I'm interested in - opera records your browsing habits and supplies (for the want of a better word) adverts to match.. It's a lot quicker to load webpages, the download manager is tops, and the in-built news and email clients are pretty good to. Did I mention the skins yet? It works great under both windows & linux too.

try

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20030910162652193&query=banner+ads

or search on http://www.macosxhints.com

for 'banner ads'

An alternative is to use a utility such as privoxy:

www.privoxy.org

this works on Windoze too, and actually prevents the download of the ads not just the display.