Getting SKY * GREAT NEWS*

A Happy 2005 to everyone .... on the subject of SKY ... we already have a dish and skybox/card (dont ask me what model etc).  My question is, can we run 2 boxes from the same dish, ie. have 2 TVs watching different programmes at the same time?

Thanks.

Mandy

[quote]A Happy 2005 to everyone .... on the subject of SKY ... we already have a dish and skybox/card (dont ask me what model etc). My question is, can we run 2 boxes from the same dish, ie. have 2 TVs watc...[/quote]

Apparently yes you can.

Have a look at this link http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?t=8026 and read the entry made by aikon0029

The opinion from that site says "An ordinary splitter is no good, you need a Global Communications SPLIT4AF this allows you to connect up to 4 receivers from one dish, with 1 LNB and 1 cable without any loss of signal" 

The other suggestion  is what we have done, and that is to have a double LNB on the dish, with separate cables to each box.  This works very well without any risk of the channel clashing that can apparently happen with splitters.

It may be true that sky minidishes work in parts of France, but  look around you, what do the locals use? White 60CM + dishes, now why do you think they do that, is it because they get a good reception??

I have not found a dish anywhere in the UK or France that is not affected by heavy rain, they all are, its because the rain blocks out the signal and no size of dish or type of receiver can overcome that.

[quote]The opinion from that site says "An ordinary splitter is no good, you need a Global Communications SPLIT4AF this allows you to connect up to 4 receivers from one dish, with 1 LNB and 1 cable without a...[/quote]

The other suggestion  is what we have done, and that is to have a double LNB on the dish, with separate cables to each box.  This works very well without any risk of the channel clashing that can apparently happen with splitters.

And indeed you can get LNB's with 4 outputs, which would solve you problems at once (and as Ron says, 4 clean signals, at that).

It may be true that sky minidishes work in parts of France, but  look around you, what do the locals use? White 60CM + dishes, now why do you think they do that, is it because they get a good reception??

Yes, but don't forget 'the locals' aren't looking at Astra 2's at 27E; they're probably looking at an assortment of Telecom and Astra 1's

I have not found a dish anywhere in the UK or France that is not affected by heavy rain, they all are, its because the rain blocks out the signal and no size of dish or type of receiver can overcome that.

Yes, but the physics dictate that the smaller your dish, the smaller the storm-size required to block out your signal, and vice-versa.