Wanadoo e-mail account

I have Wanadoo dial-up loaded on my PC and Laptop which works fine; however it creates an additional Outlook Express account at Start up with the same SMTP and Pop3 address as wanadoo and it makes this the default account. It will not remember the password, so every time I check my e-mail I have to type in my password to make this extra account happy. If I remove the account via Tools>Accounts, then it just recreates one next time I start the PC or laptop..

Is this normal for Wanadoo? What am I doing wrong and how can I permanently remove this annoying account?

[quote]Have you ticked the box for it to remember the password (Servers, Properties)?[/quote]

This topic came up late last year, you cannot tick the box for remember password in the IE account, it is greyed out and creating another user account is no good either as Piddy says, it just defaults back the next time you log on.  Nobody has suggested a solution to the extra sign in yet, it appears to be the result of a conflict between IE and Wanadoo, the only thing suggested on the last thread on this topic is to keep signing in to the second box when it pops up

[quote]Just uninstall the Wanadoo software and create the connection and OE account manually. http://www.frenchentree.com/fe-techcorner/DisplayArticle.asp?ID=435 The Wanadoo dialler software is totally u...[/quote]

I agree that Wanadoo is very invasive and creates this double sign in problem on OE, but forgive me If I am being dim here , but if I uninstall Wanadoo won't Wanadoo get a message telling it I have unsubscribed and cancel my log-in?

Also, if I uninstall how will my PC know how to connect to the Wanadoo site and the passwords and freephone numbers to use?

if I uninstall Wanadoo won't Wanadoo get a message telling it I have unsubscribed and cancel my log-in?

Not at all. The Wanadoo disk is never needed, nor is the Wanadoo software. The only French ISP for which you need to install special software or use a CD is AOL. All other ISPs are handled natively by Windows 95 and above and can be easily configured manually.

Also, if I uninstall how will my PC know how to connect to the Wanadoo site and the passwords and freephone numbers to use?

Did you read the page in the link that I posted above? I suppose not.

All the Wanadoo connection info (login, password and phone number are the only three needed for the connection) is on the confirmation letter that they sent you. The OE account info (login, password, pop and smtp server names) is also on the letter and can be found on the Wanadoo support website also, as can all the other connection info.

For reference the pop server is pop.wanadoo.fr and the smtp server is smtp.wanadoo.fr

I totally endorse what Mazan says - installing a Wanadoo France customised version of Outlook Express was the worst thing I have ever done with my computer, it resulted in (fortunately temporarily) losing all e-mail archives, address book etc. They came back when I eventually got rid of all the wanadoo stuff and re-installed things manually. I can still use my wanadoo e-mail account, and dial-up, should I require (useful occasionally when other ISPs are acting up, or e-mails sent via Tiscali or La Poste being rejected from usually US servers). Mazan's link says exactly what you need to do.

Thank you Mazan et al,

Unfortunately I had already installed the disc when I read that it was unwise to do this.

Am I best to uninstall Wanadoo before installing manually. I know how to do this via Control Panel, but is it necessary to get rid of any othere bits which may be hidden and not removed/

Piddy.

I did read the page on the link but it appeared to be for those who do not live in France and want to change ISP when in the UK, or for those who have not committted to Wanadoo and want a ISP for OE.

Due to not understanding some of the wording on Wanadoo like Supprimer, I mistakenly changed a configuration early on when i started with Wanadoo aand that cancelled my account with them and I got a Email to that effect, it also cancelled all the options I had and I lost my carry forward hours as well.

Can you tell me if you have uninstalled wanadoo yourself and if you did, it did not affect your fidelitie account with them or lose your OE messags and address book.  As much as I find the double OE log in and intrusion of Wanadoo into almost every programme a pain, it is not worth losing my mailboxes for.

Ron

The FrenchEntree page I wrote gives a general summary of how to install an internet connection manually. It applies to anyone regardless of whether they have an existing UK account or not, though some modifications may be needed in order to accommodate all users.

I can assure all Wanadoo subscribers that the use or non-use of the Wanadoo software and/or CD has no incidence whatsoever on your subscription.

The CD and/or software is NEVER needed under any circumstances and removing it or re/un-installing it will have no effect on your account with Wanadoo.

However: unfortunately the Wanadoo software works by creating new Outlook Express accounts which it hides here and there. This is why it is such a disaster. If you stop using the Wanadoo dialler (which you can do by uninstalling it from the Windows control panel) then you may need to import your existing emails from the spurious identity that the Wanadoo software has created. This requires some knowledge.