Zone Labs/Zone Alarms Security

Finally, I now can see who is posting - yippee!  We ditched Norton and now we have a decent security system.  The system detects viruses/worms not even activated but lying their dormant - waiting! 

Couldn't recommend it highly enough, just have to get used to it.  It is called Zone Labs Security or Zone Alarm.

Now a happy camper!

• 4 weeks later...

[quote]Finally, I now can see who is posting - yippee! We ditched Norton and now we have a decent security system. The system detects viruses/worms not even activated but lying their dormant - waiting! ...[/quote]

Did Norton cause your machine to run very slowly? I have just downloaded and installed Norton Internet Security on my wife's machine and it has become glacially slow. Not just on the internet but slow in every area - so slow I find it almost impossible to use.

I want to install personal firewalls on my office PC and laptop as well but I'm now very reluctant to use Norton in case it has the same effect.

I found a download site with the Zone Labs and other products. Are you still happy with it?

Has anyone else any comments or suggestions? I would be grateful

Patrick

My ignorance may be showing here but aren't Zone Alarm and pc-cillin/Norton etc. different ?

Here is my simpleton's view waiting to be corrected:

1) Anti-Virus engine, such as Norton, Pc-Cillin, Mc Aphee or F-Secure which I like,, detects and removes/cleans virusses.

2) Firewall  such as Zone Alarm stops intrusions into your pc and also helps control what you send out.

3) Anti Spyware/Malware stuff helps detect and remove the nasties that get placed on your machine which are not viruses but do have a deleterious effect on your pc/Life/Bank Balance.

I know that some packages are combining elements of 1) and 2) or 2) and 3) etc. but the free Zone Alarm is only one thing I think.

Cheers all

Did Norton cause your machine to run very slowly? I have just downloaded and installed Norton Internet Security on my wife's machine and it has become glacially slow. Not just on the internet but slow in every area - so slow I find it almost impossible to use.

NIS is bloatware of the very worst type that should only be used on the very latest, fastest PCs. It will render most PCs more than a year old completely unusable. Remove it.

The same applies to Norton Antivirus 2004/5 edition: if you want to buy an AV tool then stick to the Norton 2003 edition which is much faster and does the job just as well. After the first year do NOT update online, just renew online (~20€).

Zone Alarm also will cause huge problems if you run filesharing programmes on an ADSL connection. It just isn't up to the job.
Use the free version of Sygate which is much more efficient.

I have used Zone Alarm (paid for version) for over a year now and find it to be very good, I also use their IM Pro for protectition on instant messenger systems such as MSN messenger and Yahoo.

AVG 7 free edition is my anti-virus and I find all of these products very satisfactory, they work together and also with XP pro SP2 without any apparent conflicts, and certainly do not carry the horrible overheads of any of the Norton systems.

Thanks to all of you for your comments and help. As a result of your combined wisdom and advice I have installed AVG7 and Sygate on my desktop, at no cost, and with only a minor reduction in speed.

I'm now going to remove Norton Internet Security from my wife's machine and install the same combination on it. I will ask Norton for my money back - there was no warning that upgrading from an earlier version of Norton AV could render the computer unusable - and hope for the best.

Perhaps that nice man on the front of the Norton box will call round with the dough.

Patrick

Zone Alarm and AVG are both good applications. Personally I use F-Prot for anti-virus and Look'n'stop for firewall. They are both small, effective and free.

My recommendation is that you check shields up! at https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

This will check to ensure that your firewall is working as it should.

Am I glad you posted that last message, Guyk. I have been struggling to get my wife's computer to work with any firewall. The problem was not just with Norton but also with Sygate and others. The computer became virtually unusable as it slowed down to a crawling speed.

I removed all unnecessary software, cleaned up the hard drive, de-fragged, etc. but nothing really worked. Finally I found your message, searched for "looknstop", downloaded it, (it took about 5 seconds) and installed it (1 second).

It works fine. The computer is back up to normal speed, and I have tested it with shields up! (results described as "cool")

Thanks for that.

Patrick