tenants leaving a long-term let: need to paint??

Sunny Dancer

Hi

We are tenants and leaving a house we have rented for three years in France. The agency has told us we need to paint the house or be charged to have the decorators in. There is just normal wear and tear, but with white walls everything shows. Is it correct we have to paint it ourselves or pay. We don't expect our tenants in UK to paint the walls on moving out.

Friends have, and we did son's flat when he moved. Good way to get the caution back.

My friends rent out and they always repaint and never penalise their locataires, but they don't use an agency and we have found agencies to be 'dur' with locataires.

There was a painter by the name of Jock, who was very interested in making a penny where he could, so he often would thin his paint to make it go further. As it happened, he got away with this for some time, but eventually the Church decided to do a big restoration job that involved the painting of one of its biggest churches. Jock put in a bid, and because his price was so low, he got the job.

He went about erecting the trestles and setting up the planks, and buying the paint and, yes, thinning it down with the turpentine.

Jock was up on the scaffolding, painting away with the job nearly completed, when suddenly there was a horrendous clap of thunder, and the sky opened.

The torrential rain washed the thinned paint off the church and knocked Jock off the scaffold and on to the lawn, among the gravestones, surrounded by telltale puddles of the thinned and useless paint.

Jock was no fool. He knew this was a judgement from the Almighty, so he got on his knees and cried: "Oh, God! Forgive me! What should I do?"

And from the thunder, a mighty voice spoke...

"Repaint! Repaint! And thin no more!"

Apologies but your question reminded me.

John

Did you sign an "état des lieux" with a description of any faults stains etc?

Usually you are required to restore the property to the condition in which you took it over, and as idun says Agencies can be very hard on this often withholding deposits etc.

We have just come out of rented accommodation for 2.5years. The agent said out odd marks on walls were wear and tear, howerer my Son did spill black Airfix paint on the wallpaper, so we found a paint the same peach colour and just painted the one wall

The wheel of our office chair badly scratched the floor and removed quite a bit of the top surface of a laminate floor, so we replaced it, bought the cheapest poss. I think all in all, cost us 80E, which was far cheaper than if it was taken from our deposit as we would have also had to pay labour for someone to come in and do it.

We always have an etat des lieux entrée signed and the house newly painted white. With kids and after 3 years marks appear. If the tenants do not paint the house then they get a very large bill for painting which has to be done by a registered painter. If the owners paint the house themselves then they will get nothing unless the tenant agrees to the cost in writing.

I suggest you but some cheap white sous couche, €5.00 per 10 litre and then some silk cost about €13 and after 12 hours hey presto.

[quote user="Sunny Dancer"]Hi

We are tenants and leaving a house we have rented for three years in France. The agency has told us we need to paint the house or be charged to have the decorators in. There is just normal wear and tear, but with white walls everything shows. Is it correct we have to paint it ourselves or pay. [/quote]

Unfortunately it seems to be the norm here. You could try a deep clean instead and see what that looks like. When a single friend moved out of her immaculately maintained rented house to down-size to a flat her friends got together and we cleaned everything within an inch of its life. Still the agent found some (very small) marks and deducted 85 euros from her caution.

Sue