Long Distance Live box connection

I have just got a LIVEBOX from Wanadoo as we are going on to ADSL Hurrah

But I have an old house with all the phone connections downstairs, so I have a long phone extension upstairs from the nearst phone outlet, to the PC upstairs.  My question is, do I have to put the modem/phone connector into the phone socket downstairs and now run a modem extension wire from the phone to the LIVEBOX?.   Also, if anyone knows where there are English instructions for a livebox, this would also be welcome, my French is not too bad, but not good enough for the Livebox instruction booklet

Your best bet for a long term solution is to get a wireless setup. This would mean you can put the PC where you like. Various solutions are available, but try the UK wanadoo site for guidance if you feel comfortable with them.

Regards

Simon

Ron

I have just visited www.wanadoo.co.uk and went to the help section. I typed in livebox in the search facility and the answers that came back show the instructions for installation.

A word of warning. These set up instructions are obviously for use in the UK. WHETHER OR NOT they would apply to France I do not know. Maybe the instructions from the UK site might assist you in setting up the device.

Good luck

Thanks for hev helpful answeres, it is a wireless set up, the idea is to keep the phone available and have ADSL accesss all the time as I understand it, so I wanted to make sure that I had got the phone set up right.

I'll have a look on the Wanadoo UK site, Thanks again.

Ron,

As I understand it, the ADSL signal is multiplexed on top of the ordinary voice signal. Each phone socket being used needs a filter (looks like an ordinary French male/female phone plug with a US-type socket on the bottom). This splits the signal into data and voice. Since all the sockets on a french house system are simply parallelled I can't see that there would be a problem where on the system the phones and the PC are plugged in. There is a maximum limit to the number of filters you can have on one line - like the number of ringers on a British line - but I can't find it now in the paperwork which came with my Wanadoo modem. It did come with 2 filters, though!

The only caviat I'm aware of is the tendency to degrade the signal (thus lowering the speed) with crappy old wiring and bunches of extenders. There is probably something akin to the 3dB insertion loss found with TV and satellite connectors.

p

P

Thanks for the advice. The filter is exactly what what I have, but if I plug that into the existing phone socket, can I discard the existing 15m phone extension to the PC? 

Do I then need to run another wire from the modem outlet on the filter to either the PC or the Livebox? Or can the live box sit on the ground floor, by the phone for example, and the ADSL wireless connection be made remotely from the PC's upstairs?  This WI-FI technology is a step too far for me!!!!