Where's Freeview gone?

Two days ago we lost the BBC off our free-to-air satellite receiver. Had been working fine for over a year before that, tuned to Astra 2D. Other non-BBC stuff still coming through. Husband normally a whizz with these things but can't get them back. Does anyone know if the Freeview BBC channels have moved?

Jo

Not aware of any major changes for BBC but SKY are shuffling :

E4 is now FTV. - 330 Horror channel has been joined by 333 , 336 and 339 movies all of which are FTA at various times of the day or night

Suggest you list of which FTV channels you can get and see if there are any problems with either transponder or polarisation.

More confused now...

CBeebies and CBBC (if that's what they're called, the channels on the BBC3 & 4 frequencies during the day) are fine.

We tuned in a few minutes before 'changeover' time at 8pm - kids' programmes ended, the BBC3 logo & continuity announcer appeared no problem, then a trailer for a BBC3 prog, so all seemed OK. Hurrah (briefly)!

I switched to BBC4 - "No video service", so back to BBC3 knowing that at least was OK and... "No video service" there now as well! Both 3 & 4 were then unavailable all evening (did get a few seconds of sound on one of them, but no picture whatsoever).

As before, BBC1 / 2 / News are all absolutely fine, as are ITV3 and the other FTA channels we have.

So BBC3 seemed OK when following straight on from CBBC, but we can't actually change channels TO it (or BBC4) !

Can anyone help??

We've managed to get them back now - OH twiddled some more knobs, he seems to have a way with these things, and back they came. Maybe he pinged the LNG or diddled the PID, frankly I have no idea. But it didn't involve climbing up on the roof to tweak the dish, so obviously a software thing. Sorry I can't be more specific. Anyway, the channels don't appear to have moved.

Good luck juswundrin (tho I don't think you're missing much with BBC 3, it seems to have been completely taken over by those Toddler Taming shows. We have enough of that chez nous during the day without wanting to watch it once the little buzzards have finally gone to bed).

Jo

Everything sorted here too. (Thanks for that link Gwynydd, I've put it in my Bookmarks).

We left the box switched off overnight on Friday, then OH faffed (like pinging & diddling, but with more swearing)... actually reinstalled all the channels from scratch, and everything's fine.

You're not wrong Jo ("and those who can't survive a whole hour til the next thrilling episode of "Strictly Dance Fever" should switch over to BBC3..."), but what else are you going to use the "3" button on the remote for?

Sorry to nit-pick,  but mansel's comment:

"Some of the transponders on Astra 2d which carry some of the BBC free to air channels are carried on the High Band"

is not quite correct.   Astra 2D uses 10.714 - 10.936 GHz,  all frequencies in the lower band of a Universal LNB (local oscillator frequency 9.75 GHz).   Some BBC progs (mainly BBCi) are on Astra 2B in the high band (L.O. frequency 10.6 GHz).   

But for the vast majority of BBC progs it doesn't actually matter whether the 22 kHz tone is getting up to the LNB or not (they default to low band).    Channel 4 does require high band coverage

We use a Sky digi-box for FTV and suddenly lost the satellite signal at 1.30PM during the cricket on Thursday.  As it coincided with the arrival of family for a few days this was untimely to say the least so left it on for an hour in the hopes of the signal coming back. Incidently I looked at the signal strength and it showed a very good signal.  After an hour the reception was still off with a message saying "there is a technical problem with the satellite signal" so I did what I always do when having a problem and unplugged it.  When I plugged it back in all was fine.  It seems to me that unplugging and plugging back in has replaced the thump on top of the set in the old days when watching Six-five Special.

I much preferred the instant thump on the top of the box.

weedon