Email problems

Help & advice needed once again please!

Well, today I've managed to set up Wanadoo broadband!

However, I was advised by Wanadoo in the UK that I could still use my old email address which ends "wanadoo.co.uk", when I moved here.

And, although I can receive emails I can't seem to send any as they come back with the following message:

This is the AVG E-mail Scanner program.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that the message returned

below could not be delivered to one or more destinations.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

[email protected]: Administrative prohibition

-------------------------------------------------------------------

All but one of my sent emails have been returned with this message. I have no idea why one of them was delivered ok.  If it is of any use the one that got through was to a Tiscali address.

In addition, this problem started as soon as I set up with Wanadoo libre service, so I doubt it's anything to do with the broadband connection. But as it has taken almost 3 weeks to get this far, I am beginning to pull my hair out - and it hurts! 

Can anyone help to save my sanity?

If you are using wanadoo.fr as your ISP then you have  been led up the garden path by Wanadoo in the UK.  You are now on Wanadoo.fr.  The only way that you can keep your UK E mail address is to use  a dial up for Wanadoo.co.uk as your ISP and even if you could do that , it will cost you a fortune in phone charges 

If you think about it, if you moved from Tesco to BT interrnet, would you expect to keep your E mail address? No of course not. Best thing to do is import your address book and notify all your contacts of the new E mail address that Wanadoo.fr gave you when you registered with them, OH and get a hotmail address, you can access that from anywhere

Ron

Is this right?

I am on wanadoo.fr broadband. My children have free wanadoo.uk email addresses that they access via the www.wanadoo.co.uk web page. They don't have to dial a different number to use this,( its as easy as accessing any other webpage) so I can't see how this could cause higher phone charges but I'd like to know for sure.

I did question several people at wanadoo about this before I left the uk and all said I could continue to use it.

As I said earlier I can receive emails no problem, and as no  other number is being dialled up I am confident that I am not paying any extra charges.  However, saying that, a couple of times when I was trying to reply, the dial up connection showed my previous (UK) dial up no. when I was already connected to wanadoo.fr.  So  perhaps I can receive but not send.

Anyway it was only for previous business purposes that we didn't want to change, but in hindsight, I think it will be easier to use the wanadoo home page to access my uk email address and revert to my French one on Outlook.

By the way I did get a hotmail account, I just don't like using it.

Thanks for your input.

Lynda

[quote]Ron Is this right? I am on wanadoo.fr broadband. My children have free wanadoo.uk email addresses that they access via the www.wanadoo.co.uk web page. They don't have to dial a different number ...[/quote]

On the Wanadoo.co uk website page you are accessing @fsmail.net not wanadoo.co.uk,  If that is what wanadoo.co.uk users use get for E mail then yes you can keep your "uk address" in France.

Wanadoo co.uk used to be Freeserve in the UK, hence fsmail.  Your kids use "webmail" on the Wanadoo.UK site but that is the only way to access it, its a bit like hotmail it would appear. but can they pick up their messages via Outlook Express as well?.

As far as I know, if you use Wanadoo.fr as your ISP then you will have a Wanadoo.fr E mail address, you would have selected it when you signed up with Wanadoo.fr  That is the one that you can access via wanadoo.fr and if you have set it up, Outlook Express.  All E mails sent by you via Outlook Express or wanadoo,fr messagerie will have a wanadoo.fr address. 

Ron / Lynda,

It looks like you can access a Wanadoo.co.uk (or Freeserve.co.uk or FSNet.co.uk etc etc) email address and not just an FSMail webmail address via webmail from the “Check your email box” on the Wanadoo UK homepage – I’ve just tried it (from within the UK) and I’m sure I’ve done this in France using a friend’s PC.

Lynda,

I’d suggest you check your email account settings in Microsoft Outlook / Outlook Express.

In Outlook – Tools | E-Mail Accounts | View or change existing account | (Change). I don’t use Outlook Express, but the procedure should be similar.

In the UK, the incoming mail server box will say pop.wanadoo.co.uk and the outgoing mail server box smtp.wanadoo.co.uk.  You may have to change one or both of these to pop.wanadoo.fr or smtp.wanadoo.fr respectively.  Try the outgoing box first as you are receiving emails OK.  I had to make similar changes to get a LaPoste.net email account to work from the UK.

Within More Settings (Outlook) | Connection tab – check that Connect using my local area network is selected.

One problem you may encounter is that if your Wanadoo.co.uk address was a Pay As You Go (“no ties”) dial up account, if you do not connect to the account using the dial up number for (I think) 90 days, Wanadoo suspend the account and you have to go through the “reactivate account” process – I do not know if this would work from France.

I note you are getting an AVG error message – I don’t use this programme, is there perhaps a setting which needs to be changed within AVG?

Hope you manage to get it sorted!

You cannot access a wanadoo.fr email address from the wanadoo UK home page log in portal, I just tried it  When in the UK I just log into wanadoo.fr and get e mails via the messagerie

The trouble with wanadoo's messagerie it is that it so inferior to OE in terms of layout and filing capabilities and it takes so long to view messages, particularly those with links to internet sites. If they had a "supprimer" or "suivant"  button at the bottom of the message it would help

Thanks Ecossais

I've tried all sorts in the Accounts box, and have resorted to adding on my new FR address, but have kept my old UK account just so i don't miss any emails.

Guess I shouldn't have tried to be so clever in the first place!

[quote]Help & advice needed once again please! Well, today I've managed to set up Wanadoo broadband! However, I was advised by Wanadoo in the UK that I could still use my old email address which ends...[/quote]

Yes you can receive your wanadoo.co.uk emails in France without a problem.  I presume you have set Outlook or Outlook Express to collect from the POP3 server. 

Sending is a different problem.  You simply need to reset you SMTP mail server to the wanadoo.fr mail server in France the correct address being smtp.wanadoo.fr

Email me direct if you want any more help (free).  My company runs an Wireless ISP in the UK so I might just know what I am doing or then maybe not.

CHRIS

[quote]Help & advice needed once again please! Well, today I've managed to set up Wanadoo broadband! However, I was advised by Wanadoo in the UK that I could still use my old email address which ends...[/quote]

Yes you can receive your wanadoo.co.uk emails in France without a problem.  I presume you have set Outlook or Outlook Express to collect from the POP3 server. 

Sending is a different problem.  You simply need to reset you SMTP mail server to the wanadoo.fr mail server in France the correct address being smtp.wanadoo.fr

Email me direct if you want any more help (free).  My company runs an Wireless ISP in the UK so I might just know what I am doing or then maybe not.

CHRIS