Internet - Cheapest provider?

Looking for the cheapest broadband provider.  My line is "degroupage" so I have a good choice.  The best option seems to be a freebox from free.fr where you get 20 meg connection, tv and telephone for €30 pm.  I've looked at Neuf which have 20 meg connection for €15 pm but you either have to pay France Telecom for your line rental or go with Neuf which pushes the price up to €33 pm.

Does anyone have any experience with these companies or are there any others you'd recommend? (the net is the priority, not the tv or telephone)

How much is line rental with FT?

And if I get any of these boxes, does anyone know, are they compatible with a wifi router?

Thanks in advance

Having used Neuf, Tiscali & Wanadoo in the past, I have found Free to be very good, they seem to be a no nonsense company and you do not have the contractual restraints placed on you that you find with Tiscali or Wanadoo. Free are also lower cost than any other supplier that I have found for broadband, telephone and box package.

The online system keeps you informed of progress throughout the sign up and connection procedure.

The freebox will give you TV and allow your PC music library to be played through your TV, it has a built in wifi system (27€ for the card) and has usb and ethernet connections so may well work with your existing router. Calls in France are free and to the UK it costs 3cts a minute with no connection charge - again cheaper than any others I have seen.

[quote]Having used Neuf, Tiscali & Wanadoo in the past, I have found Free to be very good, they seem to be a no nonsense company and you do not have the contractual restraints placed on you that you find wit...[/quote]

Thanks for all the info!

Quick question, I'm moving into rented accomodation, the previous tennant didn't have the line connected, a french person I know told me because I am activating the line now I have to connect to France Telecom for one year (and therefore pay their line rental) before I can go with another operator (like free), do you know if this is true?

Hi Irlandais

We are in a rented house and our contract with FT says just that - we have to stay with them for 1 year. But I think there is a 'you can leave us' clause but you still have to pay them the equivalent of the year's line rental - that is if I understand the small print correctly - which might not be the case!

Sue

[quote]Hi Irlandais We are in a rented house and our contract with FT says just that - we have to stay with them for 1 year. But I think there is a 'you can leave us' clause but you still have to pay them t...[/quote]

hmmm ...I was afraid of that  looks like I'll have to go with Neuf or Cegetel at €15 then pay FT (€13??) for line rental

...unless anyone has another solution?

1. You can still go with free regardless of who provides the line.

2. Something in my memorybank says that for degroupage you do not have to have an existing FT number.

But I could be wrong.

Edit

No I am not wrong, for free to provide the line you must not be a FT subscriber, ideal if you are moving house but you need to know the old number. The Neuf package is now 1€ less but calls are more expensive.

You should be aware that Neuf's billing system is a bit of a problem, they finally agreed that they owe me 60€ but can I get them to repay it!!!

Thanks for all the advice!

Free definitely seem like the best option.  I've looked on their website (http://adsl.free.fr/subscribe/indexndinactif.html) and it appears to me that you don't need a contract with FT (I'd appreciate if someone could have a look at that page as my French is patchy), I have the phone number so no problem there (but maybe somebody could clear up what is meant by "datant de moins de 3 mois")

John

If a line has been disconnected for more than three months, the new supply is counted as a completely new line. That means that France Telecom are currently allowed to require a 12 month initial contract , in addition to whatever connection charge usually 55 euros is payable.

Thats a real pity ...I won't be in the same place for more than 6 months, so a 12 month contract with FT isn't really an option.  I'll have to do some more investigating I think, maybe cable or wireless internet are available?

Appreciate all the help

John

• 2 weeks later...
I haven't quite got the hang of this yet..

I have no existing telephone line and am in a NON degroupée region. Is there any way of having a new line installed without going through / contracting to FT ? Seems a waste to pay them AND an ADSL provider. Do FREE provide a slower broadband in a NON DG region ?

Thanks

"I have no existing telephone line and am in a NON degroupée region. Is there any way of having a new line installed without going through / contracting to FT ?

Seems a waste to pay them AND an ADSL provider."

No.

" Do FREE provide a slower broadband in a NON DG region ?"

Yes, 512 to 10Mb at 29.90€ including free telephone calls to French landlines, speed will be as high as your line can support.