[quote]Hi. We have been using up to now a cheapo French telephone. It does it's job, but that's about it! We have eventually dug out our all singing, all dancing phone from the UK! Can we just buy an adapt...[/quote]

It may work. The only way to be sure is to try it. If the telephone has a small plug on the end of the lead that plugs into the wall, you should be able to get a replacement lead (with a French plug on the wall end) from all sorts of places (often found in larger supermarkets, certainly in Castorama, Carrefour & the like). Take your old one as a reference. If it does not have a unpluggable lead, you will need a UK-French adaptor (not impossible to obtain).

However, even if you can dial out on it, it may not ring. This is because the UK and French ringer systems are different. If this is the case, you will need to make a "special" adaptor (very simple, but it needs a BT master socket, which is only easy to buy in the UK). I can provide you with more information, if needed.

[quote]I have a lexmark printer/ fax/copier but the fax bit won't work here, will an adaptor do the trick for that too?[/quote]

There is no reason for the fax not working if the correct adaptor is used. Just follow Nick's instructions above. You may also need a double adaptor if you are short of telephone points.

Baz

Our fax does not work either and we got a adaptor when inspecting it . It seems to have have extra wires  The French line into our house whilst the core has extra wires the mains that connects to it only has two wires to operate the phone and works well on our normal phone I just bought a cheap extension for 1.50 euros from bricomarche and took the connector off it is more dumpy than the english one and messed with the wires untill I got the regular phone to work and then copied the wires for the computer and that works but the complicated philips fax has all sorts of diodes resistors or what ever they are called in the connector so I did not bother messing with it but got a proper adaptor from a friend but it did not work  I believe that there are different connections you can recieve from the telephone people which will make the fax type phones work

If this helps;

Telephone connections are basically 2-wire. The UK telephone systems uses a 3rd wire for the ringing circuit, which the French system doesn't. It is often the case that UK phones will not ring or Faxes or TAM's will not answer.

The solution is simple, you need to create an adaptor box, like so;

The French plug can be obtained from the likes of Mr Bricolage, the UK master socket (and it must be a MASTER socket, identifiable by having extra components on the board) needs to come from the UK (B&Q and the like). Any old piece of wire will do. The Fr plug has 8 connections. Use the top left 2, with the plug oriented as shown above.

I hope the picture works!